Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw a post on another site and thought I would post a reminder here as well. PLEASE DO NOT POWERLOAD!!! The damage you are doing to the launches is only making each future launch more difficult for you and everyone else.

There is NO EXCUSE for powerloading. I have a 26' 6000lb+ boat and myself(at all of 145lbs) has no problem loading it on a bunk trailer with a manual winch. Even if you have a bigger boat, there are plenty of ways to get the boat on the trailer without powerloading.

If you see someone powerloading, try and explain to them the damage they are doing to the docks and the potenially dangerous situation they are creating for other boaters. Maybe some people just don't know any better.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Exactally. People will Drive their boats up the trailer and throttle them up until they are loaded. The propwash casues the dirt under the ramp to wash away.

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
I agree !

I think there should be tickets written with HEFTY fines assesed for the infraction. Then the money could be put into a fund to rebuild the damaged ramps that this practice has caused.

·
Super Moderator
37,806 Posts
Maybe they could even build ramps designed to accomodate power loading. They would be better in low water and with bigger rigs anyhow.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I dont think it's the big rigs that do this. It's the bass boat guys, that do the majority of it. Down south they all seem to do it, maybe they have different types of ramps down there.
My buddy thinks I'm crazy when I yell at him for doing this, he says we build crapy launches up here.

Kind of like are roads, everywere else they are fine except here in Michigan.

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If there were an excess of funding to build new ramps, I could see that, but we are pretty much stuck with the ramps we have and all boats have to share them. If the ramps were designed to powerload on, go for it, but since we dont have that luxury, and with the low water, those with bigger boats have to keep backing closer and closer to the edge of the ramp, it would be nice if all the boaters could have some common courtasy and crank their boat on the trailer...

·
Premium Member
18,470 Posts
Here is a link to the Michigan Boater Information Site. They specifically ask people to NOT POWERLOAD their boats !

NO power loading

If you didn't realize that the practice is frowned upon and discouraged, maybe this post will inform you. If you are aware of the situation and choose to ignore the request, please stop.

Some of our ramps are in bad enough shape as it is. :(

·
Registered
781 Posts
I have been to just about every DNR Launch on the Northern and middle sides of LSC, and have seen a "NO POWER LAUNCHING" sign at every one of them. I personnaly don't do it because I'm not comfortable with hitting the trailer just right. So, not really an opinion here on right or wrong, I'm just more comfortable winching her up nice and straight. If there's a line at the launch, Oh well. But the one thing that burns me more than anything on earth, are the jetskiers. They back there rig in, get out, untie the straps, put on there wetsuits., Start their machines, sit on 'em for 10 minutes, slowly pull away, all while the driver watches this with his look of my 6000 dollar good life I got here. This is famous at the Fairhaven DNR launch. But short of an arrest for assault, what you gonna do?

Line, Line, Everywhere a Line.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
I have a 28' boat that weights 12,000+lbs (Boat, fuel, trailer) when it is sitting on the trailer. If I don't need to powerload that, then neither does a guy with 18' Bass boat.

Even in Pt Austin where the ramp was short and the water was low, I never had to powerload it. I know it sucked with a hand crack that came with the trailer, but I could still do it. Now thanks to a 15,000 powerwinch, I have to exert no energy at all.:)

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Done properly, a boat can be driven up onto a "drive-on" trailer WITHOUT powerloading. I load my 17ft. bass style fish and ski this way, never get out of a slow forward speed, takes it right up on the trailer where I shut down, climb onto the tongue, hook the strap, give 3 cranks, and drive away. Done properly, it is NOT powerloading in any way, as I NEVER rev the motor while loading.

SLOW is the key word here. If you know your rig, ( as I do) you know just how far to back your trailer into the water and do things right....as someone else said on another thread about tieing up the launch...PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE and then MORE PRACTICE!!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
More power to you. If you can idle up on your trailer with no prop wash, go for it. I think the thing I see most often is the guy who doesnt want to give it the three cranks, but instead goose it for the last foot of trailer.

·
Banned
4,684 Posts
Any propwash is bad propwash. Even at idle, I think it is too much.

Why is it better for you to idle a 17ft boat that can't weight more than 1000lbs than it is just to get out of the boat and crack it up like everyone else? I think more people would like to see more "NO motor use" and will live with the extra 30 seconds it will take you to crank it up.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
there is less propwash at idle coming IN to the trailer, than MOST people have going OUT from the launch...and its in the better direction pushed AWAY from the ramp...not TOWARDS it

·
Premium Member
17,583 Posts
I agree with Trialfnder, Idling up is easy if you back the trailer in correctly. No need to hammer it for that last foot or two. And thanks to many launches that don't have docks....it's the only way unless you feel like wading. people can play the blame game...bassboats etc but I see all types of users do it and I think it has more to do with inexperience and the fact that some people think it's cool and ue it as an oppurtunity to show off at the launch.

·
Smells like, Victory!
27,672 Posts
If you’re talking about unimproved launches and small DNR launches no way one should be power loading.
I am pulling my comments from this...the way I worded it will only insight a riot
Go ahead sixshooter and tell them its how you have been taught on the west side.The big pay municipal launches in Muskegon and Whitehall areas have been used in this manner for years. They seem no worse for wear because of it. Matter of fact it is the norm on the west side and you’d be getting yelled at if your not power loading with anything under 21' in the fishing class. Remember that these launches were built with this in mind to begin with.

·
Registered
3,429 Posts
Loading a boat onto a drive on trailer should ( if done correctly) cause no more damage than will result in you starting the motor and pulling away from the launch. and probably less, as the wash is pushed out towards the deeper water and away from the launch itself.

I launch at alot of small launches that do not have docks, I get in and out, without causing damage and without getting my feet wet, even if the truck wheels are in the water at some of the shallower launches.

Backing in properly is KEY to doing it right. Whether launching or retreiving, how far you back in dictates how the rest of the procedure goes. Other key is SLOW and easy...no need to do it twice, get it right the first time. Yep it takes practice, best way is to practice on a GOOD launch when its not busy and do it over and over till you get it right every time.

I practiced when I first got my boat, on a launch that did not yet have the dock in, yet had a great concrete pad made for launching LARGE boats. ( talking about a ramp that you could back your 30 footer into without going over the back edge..)

KNOW YOUR BOAT AND TRAILER...Better to back a few inches too far, then not far enough..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts