Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone been out there lately? I wanna give it a go sometime soon. Never been out there before.. Any advice via PM welcome!
Does anyone know if I can bring a snowmobile to pull my shanty? I'm guessing no, which is alright since it looks like there's lots of parking space, but as my mentor says "Why use ass when you can use gas?" :lol:

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got my answer. In case anyone else was wondering, I contacted the superintendent via the park website and this is what he said:

"Josh,
The park is open for ice fishing. The park opens at 7am and the gate closes
at 7pm and everybody must be out of the park by 8pm. We do not allow
snowmobiles or four wheelers on the lake. Thanks, Mike"

Kinda disappointed that the hours are 7-7.. Mainly wanted to target crappie and walleye at night but I guess I can go during the day if I really wanna go.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
thats plenty of time to target crappie.I have always fished Stoney from like 3-7:30 for crappies and have gotten most of my fish just as its starting to turn dark and the first hour of darkness.Now the one thing I will tell you is dont expect large numbers of fish,the days of catching a bucket full of 9-10 inch crappie in Stoney are pretty much over,but there are some dandy ones in there 15"+ and Ive caught a couple this year.Walleye however are a tough bird in Stoney.There are some around but they can be tough to locate sometimes,especially through the ice.What area were you planning on fishing,near south dam?

·
Banned
3,397 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What area were you planning on fishing,near south dam?
I'd like to stay away from the dam in case there's moving water/thin ice. was thinking maybe NNE out from the boat launch a little ways.. Maybe in front of eastwood beach, in front of the northdale picnic area there's a 10+ft area thats horseshoe shaped, maybe in front of baypoint beach.. just a couple of areas I was thinking about trying. That's why it would be nice to be more mobile with the sled but I guess I'll just hoof it.. Do they close off those picnic areas in the winter?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Fished stoney today did pretty good 3 nice pike, 5 lg mouth, 1 crappie and a big cat. All on tip ups gill action on spikes was good to. Was out towards the middle across from the launch ice was solid 10-12 inches.

·
Banned
1,124 Posts
I'd like to stay away from the dam in case there's moving water/thin ice. was thinking maybe NNE out from the boat launch a little ways.. Maybe in front of eastwood beach, in front of the northdale picnic area there's a 10+ft area thats horseshoe shaped, maybe in front of baypoint beach.. just a couple of areas I was thinking about trying. That's why it would be nice to be more mobile with the sled but I guess I'll just hoof it.. Do they close off those picnic areas in the winter?
Ive gotten all my crappie in the deeper water towards the dam.You dont wanna be up too close to it,but a good point of referance is the short fishing pier between the boat launch and the sailboat storage area.As long as you are about 100 ft from the dam you should be fine,they have a marker too to remind you.Just walk straight out about 50 yards or so,youll be fine.Less pike in that area too,so if u use minnows for crappies you wont have an unpleasant line break :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts