Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is a first for me. I was in my stand last night at 6:30 a buck comes in. What seems like forever it finally offers me a shot. I hit a little high but it was angled down good so I sit in my stand till after dark. I go up to the house grab a flash light and start the track (7:45). The deer ran off the property that I have permission to hunt and onto another piece of property approximately 100 yards. The blood trail ends, but I find drag marks and but nothing else. I know that there is no one that is suppose to be on the land because I have talked to the landowner and have his permission to enter his property. I tried to follow the trail but lost it at a two track. I hope that they enjoy the deer.

·
Registered
15,867 Posts
I had a 5pt stolen from infront of the shop and years ago, someone drove up to our camp buck pole and stole all our deer! While we were out hunting! :mad:

·
Registered
7,593 Posts
I've had people put a tag on before I got to the deer on state land. It is amazing that people just can't use common sense.

·
Registered
450 Posts
ds619

Honestly I would probably not have left the woods until I found my deer. Maybe bringing a flashlight out with you could be the answer to that one in future hunts. I would be amazed if someone ran off with a fresh kill. You never know maybe it was the land owner who took the deer. Maybe he was calling your name and never got a response so he salvaged what he thought was a abandoned deer. Chances are probably so that it was not an honest mistake though. Take it in stride and hey at least you still have a chance to tag something better.

Good luck,
Doctor

·
Registered
205 Posts
I think it's high time we as Hunters starting holding people accountable for their actions. If every Hunter took the attitude
"Just take it in stride" there would be a lot more injustices than already occur. When in injustice occurs you should be angry and take the appropriate steps to receive justice. If after taking the necessary steps you decide to "Take in in stride" than so be it. I myself get angry when someone fails to show decent ethics. Just my opinion of course.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
about 5 years ago I shot a nice 8 pt. and let it lie overnight, when i went to recover the next morning, all I found was a gut pile. The bad part was it was about 40 yards from my stand on our property. Some people just have no morals, and I feel sorry for them.

·
Registered
7,316 Posts
I shot a geat buck with a bow one year and new I got shoulder but penetrated far enough to get both lungs. I opted to wait it out just in case I only got one lung. We came back about 5 hours later and you could see where the deer expired. I then saw foot scuffings where they CARRIED the deer out all the way to their cars. I never saw those guys again.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The landowners are an older couple who do not hunt. I carry a flashlight with me all the time. I went and grabbed another flashlight and a gps that i had just bought. A few years ago there were two guys huning from a tree during gun season with no orange. They were flinging slugs and buckshot at a deer in the field injuring the deer and i can hear the bullets going through the trees. They took off when they saw me, leaving the injured deer. We contacted the homeowner who said no one should be on his land hunting. He said we could look for the deer. We searched for the deer but did not locate it. So I have a good idea who it probable was. So I wouldn't say it was a hunter who took the deer .

·
Registered
450 Posts
cshqck wrote:

"Just take it in stride" there would be a lot more injustices than already occur. When in injustice occurs you should be angry and take the appropriate steps to receive justice.

cshqck

OWE! That hurts. Does take a deep breath and wait ten seconds mean anything to you.

Hey guys,

Maybe we all should take this advice and " be angry and take the appropriate steps to receive justice". Not that anyone knows which individual lacking the ethics actually took the deer.

"Take it in stride" is not a show of how a weak individual is willing to overlook an injustice. It means hey man, sorry about your crummy luck. Hope you find the person who took your deer. Oh and by the way if you never find that person keep your chin up and continue to hunt the right way. No sense having at heart attack over something you may not be able to control. Just a little clarification to those who take offense to consoling a fellow hunter.

Again goodluck on your next one ds619,

Doctor

·
Registered
546 Posts
Dan,

Was it a 6 pt approx 11" wide, 120 lbs, with a First Cut hole high on the right side and low on the left?

Haven't seen it!

Obviously kidding, it sounds like you're seeing lots of bucks out there, the hunting gods will take care of ya, they owe you!

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sounds about right..Ill be out in the morning wont be able to hunt but will investigate. Have to drop the kids off..might get out friday or sunday.. good luck hope you get one when your dads out with you

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Three years ago I shot a big 6 point that was on a flat out run straight at me. I honestly thought he was going to run over me. It was a poor shot and I shouldn't have taken it but I had about 2 seconds to make a decision. The bullet raked his left side taking out several ribs and blew up when it hit his left hip. He ran past me about 6 feet away spraying blood like crazy. It was obvious that the hip hit took out the Femur artery. The buck went over the end of the ridge 30 yrds away where I couldn't see him. A few seconds later I hear a shot in that direction. There was a blood trail a blind man could follow. I mean a lot of blood. As I walked to the end of the ridge I see two guys in Blaze orange standing over "my" buck. As soon as they see me they start dressing him out as fast as they could and one guy starts putting his tag on it. Now I'm 50 years old 6'2" 210 Lbs and can bench 355 lbs. My point is I don't take much crap from anyone. I approached these guys, explained that I just shot the deer and before they get to carried away about claiming this deer. They should follow me and the heavy blood trail to where I shot this deer not 60 yrds away. The kicker was that they had shot him in the neck and the leaves and grass were blown away right next to the deers neck. This told me that the deer was already down when they shot. They said no way this deer was not hurt when they shot it. They couldn't explain the huge wound that I had inflicted. Honestly I almost started laughing if I wasn't so pissed. We started having some heavy words and they started yelling for their buddies. Two more of these clowns show up with their chests all pumped up trying to act tough. Now you guys don't know me but I was seriously considering kicking some serious you know what at this time regardless of the numbers. Out of complete frustration I just turned and walked away before things really got out of hand. I'll tell you,you want to see some serious blood pressure readings........... Anyway I have personally finished off several bucks for guys that were not seriously hit and waited until they arrived after tracking the deer and gave them the deer and I felt good about doing that. It has always amazed me at how otherwise decent people can act so crazy about getting a deer by any means. Anyway I still get wound up about this ordeal. So I am going to go and calm down now. Have a good one....:D

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
I am always dumbfounded everytime I hear of situations like this.

For the life of me, I can't understand why in the hell someone would steal a deer, be it in the woods, hanging on a buck pole, the back of a truck, wherever.

How can anybody want a damn deer that bad?

·
Registered
35,208 Posts
Last year one the local young men had his buck stolen off the buck pole. It was a big 10pt that may have put him in the running for the local buck pool. It turns that it was pulled off the buck pole by a big bear and carried off aways and eaten.

I would have hated to be the guy who drove down that camp road looking for directions or another camp the day after that buck turned up missing. You can't always assume someone had ill intent when they stumbled on a downed deer with no one around.

That's some bad luck ds619

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Been there, done that and it sucks.

I shot a really nice spike a few years ago. It had some big long tines that had to be 10-12" long. I must have hit him a little to high, but still a good hit.

I waited an hour before starting to track him. He headed out across a field and after 15 minutes of tracking him he made it to a neighbor's property that I don't have permision to access. I decided to let him lay for the night and return the next am. I got permission to continue tracking, the landowner allows other hunters, 2 minutes later my blood trail ended at a gut pile, rat bastards. It still pisses me off to this day.

·
Registered
5,772 Posts
By the way, its illegal to tag a deer that you did not personally shoot. This was discusssed at length on the PBS show "Ask the DNR" last night.
So all these cases involved breaking the game laws as well as **@#&** conduct. Sure wish the CO's would catch these punks once in awhile. Of course, the poachers dont care about the game laws anyway.

Natty B.

·
Registered
26,512 Posts
Hey rabbit whacker, did he look like this?

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well went for a walk today. I was going to check out the area where the deer went. I was walking toward my treestand and find my chain and lock on the ground. Ok I am thinking great someone takes my deer and then my treestand. Good thing that was doubled locked. I guess they didn't want to cut the chain for the treestand and attempted to cut the lock but weren't able to. At least I have my treestand. I know theres not much that can be done without knowing who did it but sooner or later this person will get what he deserves.

·
Registered
313 Posts
3 years ago, a guest on my property was walking back to this car when he jumped a REALLY nice buck that was simply bedded down in some tall grass between the vehicles and the woods.

The buck jumped and ran directly away from the hunter, who, in the all excitement wildly shot twice at the deer running away from him, hitting it in the rump each time. (1st dumb move).

The deer ran onto my neighbor's land where 3 shots rang out. Apparently the neighbor heard the shooting, saw the buck approach his land and bang: dead deer.

This guest (not mine, but my partner's) followed the buck onto my neighbors land and started the whole "that's my buck" argument (2nd dumb move: going onto someone else's land)

They literally got into a "tug of war" with the animal, both having loaded guns there (obvious, 3rd dumb move).

My neighbor eventually won the tug of war and had a dandy wall hanger. Later that evening, the guest chewed on MY ass for allowing MY neighbor to steal his buck (4th dumb move: Pi**ing off the owner)

I conferred with my partner and I told the guest to pack his bags and get frick'n lost (1st smart move).

I then went over to the neighbors' to apologize for the guest's actions and he told me never to step foot on his land again for tracking a deer or whatever. Angrly, I said that it now applies to both sides of the fence and so, stay off mine.

Two days later, this same neighbor is tracking all over my woods on a blood trail while I'm hunting.
I confronted him and (h2g) he says: "A man has a right to track his deer!" (5th bad move: purchasing land near pigs).

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I couldn't agree more. I have been hunting here for 18 years and have only had one problem 2 or three years back but that was with someone hunting where he wasn't suppose to. Ive talked to landowners and they have given me permission to track deer and to kick people off their land. They just don't want people hunting their property because some jacka## shot their german shepherd with an arrow. The dog was next to house not chasing deer but next to a dog house. The dog lived but ruined anybody hunting their property legally.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts