Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well northwood and I went and checked the line again this morning, and had a skunk waiting in a coyote set. We sat there for a minute in the truck thinking,
Northwood: 'where did the M-S guys say to shoot it again?,
Chuckinduck: Dunno, I forget
NW: *sips coffee again.
Chckn: Just shoot it in the head
NW: *aims gun, while chuckinduck snickers at pending disaster, Pow!!!
Que the stink bomb
Chckn: Well that didn't work!!! *Sips coffee again

After that debacle, we moved on two location #2 to check the remaining the mink/rat and beaver sets. Castor set was fired, and I can't say what happend for sure because I was checking the rest of the line, but when I returned, Northwood was wet again. And yes guys I forgot to give him the soap. I on the other hand crossed a flooding torrent of a creek via a slippery log in just my leather boots to check one set. Hahah, *pats self on back

·
Registered
8,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yah, a day on the line when northwood gets wet is always fun, but on a serious note, whats the best way to set this trap using the skunk? Should we bury it?

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Yes, bury it and leave the tail sticking out as backing to your trap. I like to re-bed the trap at the skunk catch site, then move the skunk to a different "buried skunk" set. That gives you two stinky set locations. I still say Northwood needs a boat. OH and by the way, don't get any skunk sent in your truck.:lol: I think Northwood had rather fish than trap.:lol:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Geeze that Cap'n Northwood! He might as well put a wetsuit on and forget the hip boots on the line. Just let him wade in and swim while you walk...its obvious that this is what he really wants to do....and less flailing limbs and wet wallets this way.

It is said that about 50% of skunks will spray when shot through the lungs, and that has been my experience too, give-or-take. To do this, get back as far as you can and still be tack-driving accurate, so that the report of the gun doesnt startle the skunk so much. I like to use a .22 short. Also, make sure you have a broadside shot and that its butt isnt pointed at anything you dont want skunky (within 25' or so). I have seen a few spray on impact, and it really soars. If his tail is down when you shoot, this should help reduce/eliminate spraying.

There are other more "creative" dispatch methods, but require good nerves and willingness to work at arms length with a skunk. Previous experience with bomb de-fusing is a plus. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts