Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have a favorite stink bait for cats? I've used one made with blood in the past and have had mixed results. I saw one made from shad in a catalog and am considering giving that one a try.

Also, does anyone use those grooved plastic tubes that are made for this? Do they make a difference? I was thinking of tying up bait in spawnbags just to keep them on the hook longer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
hey chris, if you ever get into lansing again, at grand river bait and tackle there is some stuff that comes in a peanut butter jar type thing. some people up there swear by it. Personally I could never use stink bait because i wouldn't be let in the house afterwards, not to mention where in hell do you put that stuff in your boat not to get it everywhere. Could you imagine if you spilled some in your car.... DEAR GOD MAN!

steve

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys. One of the places I like to fish gets a lot of shad, never thought of soaking them in garlic oil.

I wonder how the anchovies I use in Ceasar Dressing would work out.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Small live bluegills! Best bait I've used for cats! Stink a little bit, but not to bad!

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
garlic covered sausage

heres another take powdered gelatin / garlic powder and coat live bluegill in it. mmm good

·
Premium Member
29,967 Posts
Save all your smelt heads (if you clean smelt) or have someone you know with some save them for you. Freeze them in ziploc bags a couple dozen per trip. Just thaw out in sun a day in advance, and you'll have plenty of stinky FREE bait. I also am going to try cleaning the heads real well and freeze them for in winter jigging for walleye:confused: Anyone ever try this, just using a smelt head(instead of minnow) on jig through ice?

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Those suckers that everyone throws back make great bait if you steak them up or those monster shad at Flatrock would be even better. I might have to try a big catfish hole tonite if its warm.

·
Registered
618 Posts
liver w\garlic salt
shad guts
the stink bait that comes in a clear peanut butter jar i think it's made in iowa that stuff stinks real bad and it sticks real good to that tube good.you can make your own just blend up some fish add some oil [fish or clam] let it set in the sun and add some corn meal or flower.just make it so it's tacky.you can use it on a small sponge.it dont have to stay on the hook long.if placed in a good hole the fish will take in mins.old chesse works great.

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I can't wait until someone sees me mixing up some catfish bait at work:

"Hey Chef, what's with the garlic oil, cut shad, cheese and blood? Special appetizer for tomorrow's menu?" lol:eek:

·
Super Moderator
7,371 Posts
sushi

·
Registered
931 Posts
Here's something that works, besides nightcrawlers by themselves, not only do chicken livers work, but try taking a nightcrawler, put it on the hook, dip the hook/work into the package of chicken livers, and then cast it out there and see what happens. Caught bullhead, catfish, sheephead, and tons and tons and tons of white bass like that.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
i dont know aboytu ya'll but i want to catch a cat badly.....did i mention my first one....

·
Registered
931 Posts
Deputy, I'll have to take you out catfishing sometime. They're funner then heck to bring in. I went fishing Friday morning and some guy caught a ten pound channel cat and another one that had to be at least 15 or so pounds.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Catmen,

I have brought the richest catfish tournament in history to the Lake Erie Metropark for May 22nd 2004. 7am-4pm. You can get all the details at:

www.catfishtournament.com

Most of the people entered are from out of state so far. I would sure be glad to take anyone out before hand and show them some spots and techniques so that Michigan Catmen win the big brizes.

Don
313-478-2894
[email protected]

·
Registered
931 Posts
Visualtec, maybe you and I can hang out down there sometime. I'm sure there's a thing or two I could learn, I am always up for learning a thing or two. By the way, will WRIF be hanging out there? That just so happens to be my favorite rock station out of Detroit.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I opened my saltwater tackle box today (I used saltwater gear on cats in Florida.) I don't remeber what I was looking for, but what I found was a package of Berkley Catfish Bait, yuck. I'm going to have to use amonia or bleach to clean that box. The Berkley bait never worked as good as chicken liver or live blugill.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts