Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
67E036C8-B73E-432E-B2C8-7D179400FBD8.jpeg 6F0D4A7E-84A1-4B69-BC1B-56E544E513C0.jpeg 385D4CFA-435D-40DF-9750-93BD8346AED8.jpeg

Couldn’t fish today, so decided to build a fire and tie some stingers. Copying the Dipnet design; bought all the components from Netcraft retail store in Toledo OH. Fly vise makes it go a lot easier and faster!
I like this design because it stays where I place it on the jig (and I prefer “free floating”, so stiff Line is a must!).

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Yeah I'm tying some up also, tried the fly vise a coupla weeks ago, definitely makes it easier!
Today I'm making some longer ones to use with Fin S minnows... also some repair stingers for spinner bait harnesses.... made just like a jig stinger except I use a single hook and a little longer. I tend to break off the rear hook for various reasons, this gets me back in business faster, easier to add this to the front hook than put on a another harness! Plus if I just caught a fish I might want to stay with the same color! Anyways pic below!
IMG_3827.JPG

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
Yeah I'm tying some up also, tried the fly vise a coupla weeks ago, definitely makes it easier!
Today I'm making some longer ones to use with Fin S minnows... also some repair stingers for spinner bait harnesses.... made just like a jig stinger except I use a single hook and a little longer. I tend to break off the rear hook for various reasons, this gets me back in business faster, easier to add this to the front hook than put on a another harness! Plus if I just caught a fish I might want to stay with the same color! Anyways pic below!
View attachment 481135
Nice job Mark.
But those tag ends are tripping out my OCD!!!!:D

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
Nice job Mark.
But those tag ends are tripping out my OCD!!!!:D
What cho talkin about? My loops? You put those on the front hook and pull them tight! My tags by my overhand knot? They won’t bother anything, if I cut them short and the knot comes apart I lose a fish! It will have a nice juicy slimy night crawler draped around it the walleye won’t care!

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
What cho talkin about? My loops? You put those on the front hook and pull them tight! My tags by my overhand knot? They won’t bother anything, if I cut them short and the knot comes apart I lose a fish! It will have a nice juicy slimy night crawler draped around it the walleye won’t care!
Just messing with ya. I tie my stingers similar to yours.

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts
90BFD8A8-0771-410A-868A-DE602C0B009B.jpeg

You guys gave me the itch. When your eyes get bad you got to the magnifier with the light and the cheaters

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
How does the dip net design work? I get that you push the head back to get the stinger hook on, but how do you get the stinger hook off? Last time I got them, I couldn’t remove the stinger because I couldn’t get the loop past the barb of the jig hook as I couldn’t get the loop any bigger. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
828 Posts
I have thought about trying the bobber stop, but I worry that a biggun may pull the knot through the bobber stop. Have you had any failures with bobber stop?

I started using rubber bobber stops instead of the metal crimp sleeves. Found the metal sleeves to be pretty harsh on the line, and one little burr and

·
Premium Member
9,152 Posts

·
Premium Member
347 Posts
I have thought about trying the bobber stop, but I worry that a biggun may pull the knot through the bobber stop. Have you had any failures with bobber stop?
No, not at all. Fished all fall with them as a R&D project and it passed with flying colors. We got a lot of nice fish this fall and some were on the stinger alone. I double my knot (always have) so it would take a lot to make it slide through.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
How does the dip net design work? I get that you push the head back to get the stinger hook on, but how do you get the stinger hook off? Last time I got them, I couldn’t remove the stinger because I couldn’t get the loop past the barb of the jig hook as I couldn’t get the loop any bigger. Am I missing something?
Yes. Roll it around to the barbed side of the hook, and with your thumbnail, pull the rubber bead away from the barb while you slide the stinger loop off the hook. Once you get the hang of it, not that difficult; just a bit challenging with cold fingers!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Yes. Roll it around to the barbed side of the hook, and with your thumbnail, pull the rubber bead away from the barb while you slide the stinger loop off the hook. Once you get the hang of it, not that difficult; just a bit challenging with cold fingers!
Thank you! I could not for the life of me figure out how to get it around the barb. In hindsight this makes perfect sense

·
Registered
166 Posts
what bobber stops are you using? I would like to get rid of the sleeve altogether if possible, always made me nervous if edge was sharp, even tried to break edge a little , but things are too dang small

1 - 20 of 20 Posts