Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello;:fish:

I guess you all are BBQ-ing in the hot sun now down south.Me I still am driving on my ski-doo and ice fishing.
Nice -4 *C weather sun shine and lots of open space.
I noticed that alot of you ice fish at night. we never fish at night up here.
Do you ice fish at night because of the best tides or is it because you all work in the day time.I work all week but fish on the weekends.
Last weekend I caught 130 smelt and 7 trout,the biggest was 3 1/2 pounds.
I caught all these fish in a two hour trip on the lake.:fish:

·
Registered
4,599 Posts
we don't have tides in michigan..all fresh water fishing...and yes the smelt do bite better at night. we use a light to draw plankton which draws the smelt:)

·
Registered
642 Posts
Labrador - now there's a place you never hear anything about in this area. I'd love to see some pics of your province, some day I hope to visit there. What kind of trout did you catch? Are they stocked or native? Is there an Atlantic Salmon fishery there?

We are going to N.S. and N.B. this fall, but not enough time to get to Labrador or Newfoundland.

Ice fishing has been done for a month in my area, but its been snowy, windy and cold for a week, so soft water fishing has not been happening too much either.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello
Thanks for answering my question,about night fishing for smelts.
J-ROD the trout I caught were speckled trout (sea running )all native fish up here no stocked lakes.
Alantic salmon fishing from the end of june to aug.
Would love to show you some pictures ,but I do not know how to get them on here. pm me your email address and I will send you some or walk me threw how to enter them on here.I have not used computers much so I may have trouble if it's hard to understand.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just came off the ice Jigging rock cod for supper .I caught 7 in an hour.They taste the same as cod fish but they live in the Bays were salt and fresh water mix.They are a white flesh fish but dark in colour compared to cod.some people say that they are a sweeter tasting fish then cod.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Man, I'm getting jealous. I already miss the ice. I bet those cod would hit after dark as well. We used to catch most of our burbot (freshwater cod) at night on glow in the dark spoons. Might be worth a try but it sounds like your not having too much problems catching them. How much ice is up that way btw??

·
Registered
769 Posts
labrador said:
Hello
Thanks for answering my question,about night fishing for smelts.
J-ROD the trout I caught were speckled trout (sea running )all native fish up here no stocked lakes.
Alantic salmon fishing from the end of june to aug.
Would love to show you some pictures ,but I do not know how to get them on here. pm me your email address and I will send you some or walk me threw how to enter them on here.I have not used computers much so I may have trouble if it's hard to understand.
Go to this page and it will tell you how to upload and post pics.http://www.michigan-sportsman.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=54

1 - 7 of 7 Posts