Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was coming out of toledo beach marina with my fiance to do some perch fishing this morning, as soon as i got out of the marina out of the no wake zone I idled up heading towards our spot after about a hundered feet it felt like my prop slipped almost like a transmission on a car would. I shut off the boat turned it back on and tried to go. Nothing... i was dead in the water. Boat would start but not move. I did a radio check got a clear back then asked for a tow. No answer... Saw a couple boats coming out of the harbor and waved them down some looked and kept going others didnt notice requested help over the radio again... Nothing... waved another boat coming out he looked at us the blocked the sun from his face and kept going. I googled boat towing and my fiance called again over the radio for a tow and finally the Irish Hillbilly answered and said he was on his way. After about 15 minutes he showed up on the Dirty Hooker, threw us a rope and towed us to the boat ramp in the marina. I tried to give them money but they wouldnt take it, just some genuinely good hearted fishermen. I wish everyone out here would be willing to sacrifice 20 minutes of fishing time to help a fellow fisherman out but those people are few and far between. I just really want to take the time to comend The Irish Hillbilly and Dirty Hooker for taking the time to help a guy out. May the fishing forever be in your favor God bless you guys and tight lines.

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Yep, seen that same scenario many times....good on them and good for you....hat's off !....cheers....

Reactions: buckmasterflex

·
Administrator
36,673 Posts
Great to hear.

·
Premium Member
13,564 Posts
Good deeds are paid back 1000 percent. Not to mention it is the right thing to do. Good job hooker

·
Banned
2,076 Posts
I would look at it this way, someone's safety is much more important then catching a fish limit.
Also believe it's a Maritime law to help any boat in distress. If waving and making radio contact With others and they just ignore or drive off is Wrong anyway You look at it. Glad you got help.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I agree nice to see some good hearted people. Once years ago on an inland lake my big motor died and all I had was my kicker. Ironically a guy who bought a new used boat motored to north end of the lake and he broke down and here were the two of us. Luckily my 1975 merc kicker slowly pulled us all back. But I like other suggested got the Boat US insurance. It's not practical on the inland lakes but sure is on Erie. Glad those guys helped you out.

·
Premium Member
2,881 Posts
Yup, towing is always good insurance to have "just in case". Unfortunate that many people turned down the opportunity to be a good sportsman. Kudo's to the Guys that dropped what they were doing and ran to help. I've seen it more often than not. I've watched boats head towards the rocks with no power while people jigging just moved on. I've made a 5 mile run to help find a guy that lost power and had no electronics to guide me to him. Issues never seem dangerous... right up until they are dangerous.

Too many people are always interested in themselves. We have a saying "It's all about ME" when ever we encounter someone like this. The way I see it, my time is valuable but someone's life is more valuable. The situation might not have been dire at that exact moment, but could turn out to be very soon.

Great Job Irish Hillbilly and Dirty Hooker!

·
Registered
3,926 Posts
Some might laugh but our boat is 19'.....we have a kicker motor....used it more times than I'd like but like that I have it, lol....an electric motor and I still carry a paddle....would have 2 oars if we had oar locks....the paddle is just for worst case scenario and to get me out of the shipping channels and into shallow water on the river.....

I can't believe how many people don't carry an anchor !.....don't think it's a safety requirement but it should be, imo.....everyone should carry a anchor and 3 times the line for the water you will be in !!.....unless your in a mega storm, it will keep you from hitting the rocks or anything else for that matter.....it will keep you from drifting for miles and in the river your going to hit something sooner or later....all not good....

and if a good willed boater does show up and does not have any rope you can use the anchor line as a tow line.....buddy has a kicker and elec. and still pays for boatUS.....nothing wrong with that either.....cheers.....

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Glad to hear someone came to help. I have done it a couple times and I imagine most on this site would if they were needed. That being said, I would not venture into the great lakes without a kicker or twin outboards. One time I was 10 miles from the ramp in Erie and my motor seized on me. Instead of having it totally ruin the day, I just fired up the kicker, pointed it towards the ramp and started putting out lines. Caught 22 walleyes before I made it back. (Most were released). Sure beats sitting there waiting for someone to tow you in.

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I came back from the dumping grounds a few years ago on my 24v bow mount. I was praying for battery life and my buddies were fishing, caught a couple of nice smallmouth. I'm glad some fellow sportsman helped you out.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I typically do not tow other boats, however, I will call the towboat or CG and wait with them until they arrive. Boat U.S. towing insurance is super cheap. Anyone boating on the great lakes should have it.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Everyone should check their insurance policy. A lot if not most include towing. Mine does. I believe $300 worth. I'm not sure how it works but I might have to pay up front and be reimbursed but that's what charge cards are for.
I grew up off roading so it was learned early that you help a guy out and tow if necessary lest you be the one that needs help.

Reactions: seanwr400

·
Banned
1,635 Posts
I remember about thirty years ago, My dad and I were fishing at night off of Oak Pt. north of Caseville, and saw a red flare go up, way to the north. We were in a twenty two foot inboard/outboard StarCraft so I headed in that direction. I called on the radio and got no response. After about fifteen minutes of running, We saw another flare. I kept on running to the north and decided to call the Coast Guard. I told them what had happened and they wanted our location and the approximate location of the flare. They said they would send someone out of Tawas and for me to keep an eye out for more flares. We saw one more flare that night and I kept on heading further out into the Lake, until I figured we couldn't go out any further without running out of gas before making it back to Caseville. I called the Coast Guard again and they said their boat had seen the last flare and they were heading toward it. I never found out if they ever found the boat in distress or not. I still think about that night and how I failed to help someone in need, even though I did the best I could. I can't imagine someone driving by a disabled vessel without offering assistance. I think everyone on here will agree that thankfully you were able to find someone to help you. I would like to add for the guys who decided they had more important things to do that day, CARMA IS A BITCH!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.