Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Sterling Sunday Afternoon.

972 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Hi Ho Silver_Joe 
#1 ·
Went out of Sterling State Park about 3:00 pm on Sunday. The wind was howling out of the NE at 15-20 knots. Wave were 2-4 when I said; Okay, lets go fishing! One of the newbies looked sick before the boat was off the trailer. We plowed strait east until we hit 20 FOW then we turned south with the waves and set lines. 2 down rods, 2 mini discs and 2 lead core off the in-lines. Mini disc 70 back pulling a standard puke was the first to go. The port planer took the next fish on 2 colors of lead. Both down rods took 1 fish each. Lead core took the most fish. Spoons were the ticket for the day. My riders were starting to turn the prettiest shade of green about the same time the waves built to 3-5 footers. After 1 hour we called it. Ended up with 7 eyes 20 - 23 inches. Another 1/2 hour and we would have had our limit but we left because I'm a softie and can't stand to see a grown man in the fetal position.:rolleyes: Hopefully next weekend will be more accommodating to my green horns. :lol:

#3 ·
Hi Ho Silver_Joe said:
Went out of Sterling State Park about 3:00 pm on Sunday. The wind was howling out of the NE at 15-20 knots. Wave were 2-4 when I said; Okay, lets go fishing! One of the newbies looked sick before the boat was off the trailer. We plowed strait east until we hit 20 FOW then we turned south with the waves and set lines. 2 down rods, 2 mini discs and 2 lead core off the in-lines. Mini disc 70 back pulling a standard puke was the first to go. The port planer took the next fish on 2 colors of lead. Both down rods took 1 fish each. Lead core took the most fish. Spoons were the ticket for the day. My riders were starting to turn the prettiest shade of green about the same time the waves built to 3-5 footers. After 1 hour we called it. Ended up with 7 eyes 20 - 23 inches. Another 1/2 hour and we would have had our limit but we left because I'm a softie and can't stand to see a grown man in the fetal position.:rolleyes: Hopefully next weekend will be more accommodating to my green horns. :lol:

Hi ho silver,

good report are you saying 2 colors of lead before or after you put on the board?

#4 ·
Bruce William said:
Hi ho silver,

good report are you saying 2 colors of lead before or after you put on the board?

When using lead, you let out the lead (in this case 2 colors) and then clip the board to the backing. Clipping to the lead leads to a weak line and causes break offs. Probably not a real big problem running for walleye, but if you later use it for kings or steel, you are likely to lose a fish and a good section of lead core.

#6 ·
Birdhunter and Andy have it exactly right. All the lead goes in the water behind the board. 2 colors will put you down 10 - 15 feet depending on your speed. Lead puts a unique action in your spoons. I'll run a 3 color rod when the fish go a little deeper. Lead should be just 1 weapon in your arsenal. Mini discs and even down rods took fish for me as well. I don't normally run riggers in 20 FOW but I didn't feel like taking them off before I Left so I figured, What the hell there here, let's use them. I was putting the line in the releases very light and just enough bend in the rods to take up the slack. Looking to head out again Saturday. If the waves are rocking and rolling I'm taking a more seasoned crew.... My daughters. :lol:

#8 ·
LlipRipper said:
Curious how far behind your cannon balls you run your spoons? I am thinking farther back if running close to the water surface and closer when running deeper? Thanks
I was running 2 to 3 feet from bottom with 20 - 25' stretch. You are correct. The more shallow you run them, the more stretch you put out. Except when fishing Muskie and Steelies. I've had them grab the line out of my hand before I could even get it into the release. Them are some crazy ***** fish. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.