Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1995 Fishmaster Star Craft 190 and My steering is getting really hard to turn. Also my shifting lever is getting hard to shift. So, I have a delema coming up in August. I want to take the
boat over to Manistee for salmon fishing, but don't want to fight with the problem. So I either spend the money to fix the steering and shifter, or I leave the boat home and spend the money on a couple charters? I guess I am asking about what the cost would be and where do I take it to?
After all it is a pretty old boat and it probably needs to be changed. I know a couple charters will cost around a $1000, so if it cost that much to fix it then I might wait till next year and just do the chaters this year !?

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
Seems like a fix you could do yourself probably with the help of a friend. I know my buddy changed his a couple years ago and the same issues were fixed. He's not mechanical at all but had one of our buddies help that is. He admitted it was sort of a PITA but I'm pretty sure only cost a couple hundred or less and a couple hours and a few beers later it was done. What made his issue more feasible was the fact that we rebuilt the whole inside a few years ago and pretty much left everything accessible which may not be the case in your boat as I'm not sure. His boat is a 22' cuddy style boat with an inboard 165hp Mercruiser as I remember. I'm confident if he can do it than most anyone can, lol.

Reactions: textox and bellkey

·
Banned
10,812 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Guessing an OB? Before you replace steering, disconnect from motor and make sure the motor pivots freely. That pivot tube can get pretty gummed up if not greased.
If u have to change the steering arm, it's pretty easy depending on how sharp the bend is and if you have the room to remove it w/o moving the motor.
Shift cables are easy too, depending on the run. Just clean and grease the shift box when u take it apart

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have a 1995 Fishmaster Star Craft 190 and My steering is getting really hard to turn. Also my shifting lever is getting hard to shift. So, I have a delema coming up in August. I want to take the
boat over to Manistee for salmon fishing, but don't want to fight with the problem. So I either spend the money to fix the steering and shifter, or I leave the boat home and spend the money on a couple charters? I guess I am asking about what the cost would be and where do I take it to?
After all it is a pretty old boat and it probably needs to be changed. I know a couple charters will cost around a $1000, so if it cost that much to fix it then I might wait till next year and just do the chaters this year !?
Had the same problem on my Lund with a Honda 130 as far as the steering. Take the steering cable off the grease tube and clean it up carb cleaner. Spray carb cleaner in the tube and run a 12 Guage shotgun brush in the tube,do this multiple times until the tube is free from all the old grease that has gummed up inside. Grease steering cable rod with a light coating of lithium grease and replace in to grease tube. Worked very ,very well on mine.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info, sounds like I could do the job, BUT, Time I do not have, for I am booked up for work and only have time to go fishing on Planed days. You can call me lazy if you want ,but when I get home from work I am ready to eat, take a shower and call it a night shortley after.
So I am wondering if I could get some one to do the job that is reliable also. Not asking too much eh !?

·
Super Moderator
37,497 Posts
Thanks for all the info, sounds like I could do the job, BUT, Time I do not have, for I am booked up for work and only have time to go fishing on Planed days. You can call me lazy if you want ,but when I get home from work I am ready to eat, take a shower and call it a night shortley after.
So I am wondering if I could get some one to do the job that is reliable also. Not asking too much eh !?
Lots of boat places over in Houghton Lake. Spicers has good techs. Good techs arent cheap.

Reactions: Fishndude

·
Registered
2,681 Posts
shoprat was talking about starting a mobile marine business, maybe you could be his first client, hit him up in his thread:) GL no matter what you do. I was just thinking you could save a lot of $ in getting charters and then still paying for your boat later on by being able to do it yourself much cheaper and then run your own show on the water but if the $ won't matter much do the charter and be worry free (hopefully)

·
Premium Member
356 Posts
I had steering cable break couple miles out on , Saginaw ,Bay, not fun getting back to dock. Luckily was an outboard so could turn by leaning over transom

1 - 10 of 10 Posts