Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys,

I know this is a fairly tight lipped technique, so PM's are encouraged and appreciated. Looking to hit a west michigan lake/river mouth to try for some steelies through the ice. i have a couple of slammer rods ready to go. i was hoping to get a little more info on the basic line/leader/hook details. do you recommend braid or mono for a mainline? also, what leader length do you recommend? i have some spawn ready to go, are there any other baits worth trying, maybe wigglers? any other tips/suggestions you can provide is great! thanks

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
I have never targeted steelies but while jigging for walleye I tend to pick up a few every winter.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Never targeted steels either through the ice. Do alot in the spring and fall out of boat. But have caught many browns on jigging rapalas. I would think steels would hit them also. I would think light line 6 to 8 #. Fresh spawn on a tipup should be great also. Good luck. And post a report on how you do..

·
Registered
62 Posts
They fish the east end of Pentwater lake where the Pentwater river dumps in. They set as close to the open water (If there is any) Not for me I love catching steelhead but the prospect of a swim this time of year does not sit well. I stick to the thick ice and focus on perch. White lake where the white river dumps in is another possibility.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have good luck with a #16 treble and a single minnow hooked threw the lip. The line I use #4 or #6... The small treble is key.. I like the red ones.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
879 Posts
If in current it seems like you'd want floating bags, 12"-20" leader of 6-10 fluorocarbon, below just enough weight to contact bottom. Then set the trap. I would imagine perch minnows would work too.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Have heard of gravel pits located in floodplains of larger rivers (grand) that had steelhead caught through the ice after being trapped from flooding the previous spring(s)

·
Registered
392 Posts
I use 6lb Maxima green, setup as a slip rig "egg weight, bead, swivel, 30" leader,#6 owner egg hook "with a floater spawn bag, preferably steelhead skein. Key is to be where the current is which usually makes things a little hairy.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts