Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Steelhead Statistics

1420 Views 3 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Ojh
There's been quite a bit of conversation on these forums lately regarding the status of our steelhead runs in Michigan. Lots of theories on why they've been up or down, which is huge topic all of it's own. That is not the reason for this post.

The reason I wanted to share some of my data here has more to do with the fact that keeping accurate, consistent records can really help you better understand the fish you're after, and the bodies of water in which they live. Even more than that, it is a blast if you're an enormous nerd like me. Also, being able to re-live your experiences after looking at old stats helps keep a lot of these memories alive.

I've been keeping a log on all of the steelhead I've caught from 2009 to present, and my only regret is that I wish I had started recording sooner. If you keep good records, you can manipulate the data in all sorts of ways to tell different stories. For instance, below are my averages for the last 12 years across all tribs of the Great Lakes:

All Great Lakes Tribs:

But I can also put summaries together for different parameters, like the chart below which just considers Lake Michigan Tribs:

Lake Michigan Tribs:

There are so many different variables to consider when making comparisons, but if you're consistent with your record keeping, you can really learn a lot from your entries. It helps keep you honest too. I would have sworn I'm a better fisherman, but the numbers don't lie!!!

I keep track of a ton of different factors like river, water level, sex of the fish, fin clips, etc., and they're all pieces to the big puzzle we call steelheading. If you don't keep track of your fishing expeditions, maybe give it a try and see how you like it after a couple of years. I have found it to really add to my overall fishing experience.

Good luck out there!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Used to log stuff, and data entry followed.
Learned to literally hate it. Likely because my senior manager at the work during the time would provide valued added leadership by looking at your data, and say “can you convert all these to hours per fish and provide some graphics”?

🙄
Should also log miles traveled.
I recorded the salmon, basic stuff, as part of the fishing log book - a diary of the days fishing, things that happened, anecdotes, people on the river, tales from the cleaning station when we'd all be in there at night. I think I started it in the early 90's and it is a hoot to go back thru and read them - it fills quite a few of those big notebooks.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.