Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,735 Posts
everyone has his own favor spoons for steelheads. I have nto bought a new one for many years since I have a large selection more than 300. I probably use the same 20-30 of them until I found the one they want. I do not know why I carry the whole case all the time. Sometimes I hear a certain color on radio and I go through the box and pick a few that has never worked out. If I cannot get them on those 20-30 then I am out of luck. My favor one is crushed ice and orange silver streak.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Capt nicks wheatly rainbow is Always on a few rods, and the last few trips yeck spoons have been doing well. That being said, the best spoon last year was an orange fub-wobbler (a manistee/frankfort spoon from the 70-80's) that i found in a garage sale.
yeck....ceder point

·
Premium Member
6,461 Posts
The "favorite" color varies year to year I've found, but you can never go wrong with orange for steelhead. Don't EVER leave the dock without a selection of Jerry Lee's either. I bet that bait took 60% of my fish last year - of course, I ran it on half the rods as well.

Another thing, copper-backed spoons seem to outproduce the traditional silver-backed. Don't know why, it just does.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
As people have said Oranges seem to be the best & throw in copper with it an BINGO!
Our goto's include Capt Nick's Copper Wheatley Rainbow, Nick's Wheatley Watermellon, Greasy Chicken Wing, Monkey Puke, Copper Muffin and Blueberry Muffin.

Everybody and their uncle will catch fish on Jerry Lee BUT me!!!! For some reason I can't catch anything with that color:dizzy: :confused:

·
Premium Member
6,461 Posts
Everybody and their uncle will catch fish on Jerry Lee BUT me!!!! For some reason I can't catch anything with that color:dizzy: :confused:
I was in the same boat until last year, couldn't catch a fish on Jerry Lee to save my life. Then I bought some copper-backed ones from Pro Bait in Port Huron, and all heck broke loose the next time out. Of course, now that I own somewhere around 7 gazillion of them, I'm sure they are done forever.

·
Registered
560 Posts
Ones I would add to the list are:
Sheree Lee (also called Miami Dolphin)
Marc Bodi's green puke (copper spoon blank, green tape on each side, gold scale tape in the middle, large tape eye)
Orange center with pink around the edge
Shrimp
Halloween
Translucent orange, green and blue tape
Fireball
Kevorkian
White with gold scale tape

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
Don't forget boy/girl, watermelon,candy corn,copper muffin, fishing machine, plaid trout! These usually produce along with the above. Bu you can't go wrong with Jerry lee!

"StinkFinger"

·
Registered
11,851 Posts
Silver backed reverse christmas tree was our surprise spoon last year.... every year its something new!

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
Abefish1 you're in trouble now, I've got them started :p All I can say is you better have lots of money, buy a new spoon keeper (DON"T ASK which one you'll have 50 different opinions:lol:) and a get a note pad to write down all the colors and makes, you'll forget or mix them up by the time you get to the tackle shop:) been there done that.

·
Registered
531 Posts
As said before captnicks Wheatley watermelon is usually our favorite

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts