Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k. I tried this on the ice fishing page and got no response...so, I'll try here. Have you guys ice fished for steel? I am not asking where you do it or for any private matters but it seems like it would be a blast!! How do you rig for this (rod, # test, spawn, etc.) I would love to try this year. Any help would be appreciated...

·
Super Moderator
19,631 Posts
We've ice-fished for steel for years. Use a soft jigging rod and 6lb. Some guys use spawn,waxworms and minnows. I prefer a jigging spoon. Spawn works well suspended off the bottom on a small bobber. Keep an eye on your rod. When we first started, we lost a few rods. On some inland lakes, we would use corn and 3lb. test. ( Island lake Rec.)
The Shoeman

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Well in Lexington they use small teardrops, tipped with waxies. Light line, and your choice of rod. AS for inland bows, tip-ups tipped with Big Blues, small treble hook, 1 splitshot, light line again. 4 or 6# Those are the few I am familair with, thought there ae more.

·
Banned
2,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Do they use really strong teardrops? I have had walleye straighten those puppies out. Boy, this sounds really fun to me, I am definetly going to try. Thanks for the help guys...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Try slamco.com they make a cool tip up/slammer for ice fishing steelhead. I have made several copies at school. Any drowned river mouth lake in W.MI will produce steel thru the ice if you hit it at the right time and have enough hair to get out towards the ice edge near the river mouths. Most guys use egg sinkers and floating spawn or wiggs. hometown.aol.com/SLAMCOINC/index.html

[This message has been edited by Quamba (edited 12-07-2000).]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts