Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I had something brought to my attention. I'm a first mate out of grand haven and I was told by a captain that he would take a special group of customers 11-15 miles out in about 300ft of water to fly fish for steelhead that were feeding way up near the surface. Obviously when everything is right, baitfish will swim in schools near the surface that far off shore. I've seen them before while going through slicks in the water about 13 miles offshore out of holland. Anyways this group of guys would have the captain go way out, shut the motor off and drift. They would cast flys from the back of the boat for around 5 hours and they had pretty good luck. I'm thinking about giving this a shot next season but I'd like other people's opinions. This is definitely a waste of gas but could turn out to be something amazing!

·
Registered
8,641 Posts
I was talking to someone about this recently. He was noticing them rise on one of the bigger inland lakes (connected to Lake MI) we want to give it a shot sometime.

·
Registered
3,486 Posts
Guys have gone out in belly boats and did the same. We've talked about hauling kayaks out. I keep an 8wt rigged up in my cabin just incase, I've stopped and threw feathers before, no love yet but I've had fish follow.

·
Registered
495 Posts
It sounds like fun but I'm guessing the odds of being successful is slim. In my experience, offshore steelhead are really hit and miss as they move around a lot. The combination of finding them and getting them to hit a fly seems like a tough proposition. If I was worried about gas money, I would not do it. Maybe try to hitch a ride with the captain you mentioned!

Good luck if you try and please post your results if you do!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have my boat at a marina on Macatawa. Next year I will try it with my buddy who's a guide out in Alaska. He's the expert with fly gear. I will definitely take pictures and videos. Although your odds aren't the best you'd still have some wicked bragging rights. Going with what SouthSider1 said, if anyone tries it please post footage and more information about it. Unfortunately it's a little too late in the season

·
Premium Member
470 Posts
Keep checking the surface temperature maps. If you see some temp breaks develop in October or November it may well be worth a trip out deep to see if you can find some steelies.

·
Registered
19,445 Posts
Seen a guy limit out in St. Joe casting flies in about 8' of water after the lake flipped.

Done it my self with shad darts on a WF line in between the sand bars, but we were targetting perch.

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
A few weeks back out of Wheatley in Lake Erie the surface temp was 68 near point Pelee and it was flat calm. The Steelies were coming to the surface all around us and we were catching them 10-15 feet down. A couple guys had fish hit while they were putting the line in the rigger release, before letting it down. I thought about trying to cast top-water plugs or jerk baits, as that would be a blast catching them on light spinning gear. Next time that happens, I may have to try it.

·
Registered
217 Posts
One of my boys got a summer steelhead this year on Holland south stripping some sort of white alewife looking thing. Definitely gives some bragging rights. I used to do sheephead when I was younger on crayfish patterns and I would take a 5 wt and put a sabiki on and let the alewives thrash around until a big sheepie hit it, Sabikis count as flies yeah?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A few weeks back out of Wheatley in Lake Erie the surface temp was 68 near point Pelee and it was flat calm. The Steelies were coming to the surface all around us and we were catching them 10-15 feet down. A couple guys had fish hit while they were putting the line in the rigger release, before letting it down. I thought about trying to cast top-water plugs or jerk baits, as that would be a blast catching them on light spinning gear. Next time that happens, I may have to try it.
Yeah that happened with me this summer during the steelhead run. When I was running a charter I almost lost a finger while looping up the line to put it in the release.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts