Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fish a NW Michigan Trib this past week. Fishing was slow only fish seemed to be in the slots. Though wall fishing a deep run I managed to have a Steelhead smack a clear float. It knocked the float out of the water when it hit. The drift after this the fish lashed out at the bobber again. Was wondering in anyone else has ever had this happen to them?

·
Registered
14,004 Posts
How would one tie a fly that looks like a clear bobber? How would you attach hooks to a bobber?

I have heard of this happening before, but it has not happened to me. I would think I could get a strike on a spawnbag, from a fish that was striking bobbers - but I am not a fish.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I have had a few steelhead hit indicators, and floats, but mainly trout seem to go after them alot. I think I am going to tie something big bright and floating, and next time it happens, see what I can do. There could be no better achievement than getting a little-manistee strain michigan fish to hit a dry fly for me. Other than having fish also hit my indicators, I have seen quite a few hit dry flies or floating debri(anything from leaves to sticks). I do not know what does it, but they must be pretty POed. GOod luck

<Matt

·
Registered
563 Posts
thinking of "dry fly" steel quickens my pulse a notch or two.

on one occasion several years gone by, i hooked and lost a fish that i am sure was a small summerrun steel. he was all over the place, mostly above the waterline.

if one was willing to strike a indi or float you would assume that a small bomber pattern of a like color might be the ticket. SG

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On a few other occasions I have had seen Steelhead on the Little Manistee go after something else floating on the top. I was leaving the river and wasn’t going fishing for a few weeks and decided to throw my Wax Worms into the river for a small trout to eat. As they floated on top a steelhead rushed out of the pool and ate one of the Wax Worms off the surface. The worst part was i just finished fishing that pool for half and hour.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you get the Cabelas fly-fishing catalog there is a fly that is pretty much a strike indicator with a hook. It even says that it is suppose to imitate a strike indicator.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts