Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a trip up there for next week-end. I'm wondering how they are doing in that area? Are the fish still out in open water? Are the steel heads up in the river? Any input or insight would be great!!!

Mike

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
The steelies are just about done, you could probably hit a fresh fish now and then though. The browns are doing quite well all over the west side of the state. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Toto,
What are they using on the browns? I going to assume that they (browns) are still out in lake michigan and not in the rivers? It's been many years since I tried for these fish. I know what to use for steelies, but not browns? Any input will help!!

Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
If you are fishing from the piers, use a pearl doctor spoon. If you are fishing from a boat, use body baits ,i.e. rapalas, bombers etc. One other one to use is a pearl flatfish slow trolled. It has to be pearl though to match the alewife or smelt. Perch color for the bombers etc, seem to work well, although you'll have to experiment, at times they hit all kinds of weird colors. Good Luck. <"><

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, what a lousy weekend; Friday windy and cold, got two steelies. Saturday, beautiful day, not a bite. But you know what they say, a bad day of fishing beats a good day in the office!!!!

Better luck next time!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
9,699 Posts
It happens that way sometimes, just keep trying and sooner or later it will happen. In your case you are probably the one that will get the next state record. I have caught lots of browns, but never a trully big one. I want one over 20# so bad I can't stand it, but alas it hasn't happened yet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts