Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always heard and seen different steelheader's clubs from different areas/cities such as the Battle Creek Steelheaders. I never exactly knew what these really were. I know some here are members of such clubs, just wondering what a membership entails and the purpose behind them. Or are they just a bunch of people with common intrests?

Thanks in advance,

Mitch

·
Registered
3,401 Posts
Membership usually runs $30-$40/yr. They have meetings, and like this board, are a good place to meet people of similar interests.

One of the functions of the clubs are to set up tournaments and outings. They often have get-togethers with other clubs. Like a west side club will go over an fish on the boats of East side guys, and visa versa.

I'm thinking about joining one this year.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Beave,

Are most of the members big lake guys or are there river rats like me too? Kinda sounds like it might be a cool thing to get in on.

Mitch

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
A group like the "stealheaders" are a LOT of trout river gusy...

If you ever go down to the Sport Fishing Travel show at the Grand Center the Grand Haven Steelheaders always have a booth there...you could gain a LOT of information from those guys...I know the White River Steelheaders were a lot of river rats...

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Mitch(and anyone else who is interested),this is one of the greatest ways to help out your salmon and steelhead fisheries statewide and local:)
I have been a member for 20 yrs now, starting with the kalamazoo chapter. It's hard to believe , but the Kalamazoo chapter was the biginning chapter of the michigan steelhean and salmon fishermans association. A few other chapters claim to be the first, but it all started in Kalamazoo with 4 guys.
Point is, these guys diidn't live in a port town, but loved to visit and fish on the Lk. Mich coast, and with the time of the intro of salmon, the timing was perfect.
As any other social club, it has it's ups and down, peaks and valleys.
The Kalamazoo chapter has since been dissolved(very sad day for me) and I have been a member of , S.Haven, SW Mich, and Battle creek. I currently am a 12 yr member of the BC chapter and am very involved with the club.
It is a great bunch of anglers and their families who meet 8 times a yr, have 12 tournaments, kids fishing days, christmas parties, trip swaps, involvement with our DNR, support other groups like MUCC,TU,MCBA.
We meet every 3rd weds of the month for food and drink, guest speakers, trophy nights, tackle raffles, and so much more. I have made dozens of really cool friends with this club both in BC, SW mich and over at Lk. Erie, LSC.ect.:D

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Anyone is permitted to come to the meetings, you don't even have to join. I promise that you will have a good time with this club and probably other chapters statewide. Here are just a few of the things we do throughout the state to help ourselves and our communities:

Help man, and feed fish at the net pen prodjects in major ports!
Sponsor fishing events for Big br /big sis, handicapped , kids!
Sponsor and man river clean-ups.
go to bat on issues concerning angler access, fishery problems.,pollution control, tribal netting.

There are alot of ways you can help promote your favorite fishery, But this is one of the most cost effective ways. For 35-45 bucks per yr, you can be a BC chapter member, along with state member, get out monthly newsletter, and the states every two months, a 20% discount at gander mnt in Kazoo , with coupons from our newsletter, discounts at many other establishments also. Particpate in some good fun tourneys. Go to LSC to fish with the LSC walleye assoc.

We have tourneys at the Kazoo, and St.Joe river, S.Haven, and St. Joe on lk. Mich, tourney at LK. Erie.

The only I can't promise is: you just don't meet too many good women at our meetings, most are already married.:p

If you are interested, pm me and I'll give you some info.
When I first joined, I felt like one of the youngest guys, now at 43 I am in the majority, and my family enjoys the events also. We do have a wide range of age involvement. I would guess that the majority of active members are 25-45.

Hope this hasn't sounded like a commercial.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah, musta made a fortune on that plug. Thanks for the info, exactly what I was looking for. PM sent.

Thanks,

Mitch

·
Registered
295 Posts
Here's a link to some more info about the "Steelheaders".

Michigan Steelheaders

Sixshooter said "I know the White River Steelheaders were a lot of river rats..." .... well, we are - we have two outings on the White River, one in the Spring for steelhead and one in the fall for salmon. We lease a lodge near Hesperia for a week for these outings. We're also Big Lake fishermen - we won the MSSFA Region 2 Big Lake Derby the past two years and will be hosting this years' contest out of Blufton Bay Marina on Muskegon Lake in August. We're also ICE FISHERMEN!! We'll be holding our 20th annual White River Steelheaders' Perch Festival this weekend at the Montague VFW.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the link Matt. The more I look into it the more it looks like this is something I'd like to take part in.

Thanks again,

Mitch

1 - 10 of 10 Posts