Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 277 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 32.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Probably 80% of the people that purchase a license to hunt are only going to be in the woods hunting for 5 days or less.
The DNR has the actual numbers in their survey on how many days the average hunter spends afield. Many of us that go out of state are in the same boat, only there for 4-10 days. What makes us willing to drive so far and spend the money for such a short hunt on public land? Ill tell ya why, quality of deer on public land in other states. You see the results the qdm co-ops are having in michigan, many of which are not improving their land. The big change is letting the deer get another year older, not feeding him something. There are still people in other states that shoot small bucks, seems one of the propertys I hunt that is private is like that. I will likely head to Missouri now that they have had a 4pnt restriction. The hunting will only get better with restrictions, not worse. Guys arent seeing deer now, no change is not going to help that. Id rather see a few bucks that didnt meet the APR, then to not see any deer.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I agree with the restrictions, I hunt state land in northern MI, and private by my home in Mid-MI. The one problem I see with the doe tags is in the area I hunt in northern MI is they give private land owners tags and state land gets none. I find this a problem. You would think we would see all sorts of deer yet out of our group of four hunters that hunted the 13th thru the 17th we only saw 4 deer total and I saw three of them. This system has been going on for years. If you give out tags give them to all or none. All this proves is that the private land owners, some not all are going on to state land and harvesting does dragging them to there property and tagging them. Why else the low sightings. I think it's time for the DNRE to start managing the deer right and stop the nonsense.

Here is another one of those guys. We hunted hard, didnt see but a couple deer. Then complain they need doe permits to shoot the couple deer they did see. Hunters in this state would shoot every deer if possible, to show they are great hunters, then piss n moan next year when there are no deer. Then to imply the hunting on state land is bad, cause "some" private land owners are hunting it and shooting does with their private land tags? Please.......

Swampbuck, Ill "man up" as you put it, I want a herd with a more diverse age structure, so I have a decent chance at seeing and hopefully shooting a buck with big antlers. Now for those opposing restrictions, man up and admit you just want easy hunting and anything that implys a challenge in trigger control is out of the question for you.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Kenn -
After watching that video that you posted where you filmed numerous younger bucks on opening day, I can understand why you might be bored and frustrated that you are not seeing trophy caliber bucks. I've also come to the conclusion that someone coming from that kind of a hunting environment will never understand what hunting in many of the Northern parts of the State is like. You see more bucks (or deer, for that matter) in one morning, then many Northern hunters will see in 5 or 6 years. It's not because you are some kind of hunting god or because they are crappy or lazy hunters (as you seem to imply), it's simply due to the differing deer densities and land ownership patterns in different parts of the State.

You guys want mandatory APR's so badly, then lobby for them to be applied across the board in the SLP. I'll back you 100% in that effort, I'll even join you speaking in front of the NRC promoting mandatory APR's for the SLP. But understand that hunting conditions are vastly different in other parts of the State and what the potential consequences will be for the casual hunter who has to pass on putting some meat in the freezer, all so that another hunter can put an extra 20" on the wall. Walk a mile in their shoes before you are so quick to judge.
Munstr, Ive hunted all over the state, from Cadillac to Mio, Roscommon, Alpena, Marquette, west of Marquette about 45min and even did some time in the woods over in Rock which is somewhat central UP. Yes I do most of my hunting in the thumb area. While my video depicts a typical opening day in that area, its nothing compared to where I work in Marshall. So yes even in the same zone its vastly different. This is why there are many work groups around the state, and not just one in each zone. I have walked in their shoes, and can tell you there is a reason I no longer hunt much up in those areas. However if there were antler restrictions, there would be more deer, and then I would entertain those areas again. Ive been hearing good things on some of the APR areas already, but they are still not up to par with my out of state hunting. I have a family like many of you, and my wife was not real tolerant of me hunting every weekend. She is more then happy for me to hunt for 7 days straight, versus every weekend. So my time is limited, I go where my chances are high at getting what Im looking for. When Michigan can offer that, my 7 day adventure will be in Michigan. Until then, I dont get out as often as I would like.

The one problem I see with the doe tags is in the area I hunt in northern MI is they give private land owners tags and state land gets none. I find this a problem. You would think we would see all sorts of deer yet out of our group of four hunters that hunted the 13th thru the 17th we only saw 4 deer total and I saw three of them. This system has been going on for years. If you give out tags give them to all or none.
Bchez, didnt mean to jump on you if I misunderstood what you wrote. Its just a typical statement I see frequently on these boards. Guys saying they only saw a few deer, then complain they didnt have a doe permit. I read your comment above that you guys saw very few deer. You know they sold private land tags and you feel they should sell some to public land as well, or dont sell any tags at all. Guess Im confused, how did you read it?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
I would welcome any data that shows APR's are a good LONG TERM solution
I agree its not a long term solution, but we need something that is policeable to see some change. Id love to leave it up to the hunter to decide, and pass EVERY 1.5 yr old buck. However age class is very open to interpretation, hence the need to have point restrictions. I would only hope that after 5yrs of this, enough guys would see the results and comply with allowing more 1.5yr old bucks go without the need for rules. That being said, many still dont get the 1" min length for a legal point, and go by if they can feel a nub, its a point. Ive seen a picture of a woman in woods n waters that had "tagged out" with 2 dandy bucks. I dont think either had a total of 4 countable points, let alone 4 on one side. Each looked to have maybe 8" spread.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.