Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 277 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 32.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
I agree everyone dreams of antlers, But given a choice between APR'S AND A REDUCTION IN HUNTER SUCCESS RATES OF 40-60%..... I believe the majority especially in areas where doe permits are NOT AVAILABLE would be quite happy with any buck.

And there nothing wrong with you guys saying you want bigger antler's......So why do you all try to hide it with the other terms you use?
Hell I want bigger antlers. The bigger the better. The hope and chance for a big mature buck carrying massive head gear is the one thing that keeps me in the woods from October-December, and roughly 6days a week the rest of the year.

If it weren't for that...my hunting season would last about three days...I'd kill two or three does to fill my freezer, then be done with it. I'd have no other reason to travel, spend money on hunting supplies/goodies, or even chillax on this forum.

The reality, is that big bucks will boost small local economies more than allowing baiting or high deer numbers. Think of the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent by MI hunters in OH, IL, IA, IN, MO, KS, TX, WI, etc. Probably 3,000-4,000 per hunter for a 7 day hunt....those funds going to hotels, eating establishments, gas stations, grocery stores, sporting good stores, etc. There are a lot of small business in the UP and NLP that would really benefit the most from having private and public lands carrying a population of mature bucks with big antlers.

That is something that could happen but only if every single hunter...private and public land hunter is on the same page as far as letting the small bucks walk.

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Pinefarm.........Antlered harvest success rates DMU 045

pre apr

2001.....21%
2002.....23%

post apr

2003.....15%
2004.....21%
2005.....23%
2006.....29%
2007.....31%.......................5 year point
2008.....23%
2009.....19%

Now thats as a percentage........Actual harvest numbers look different

2002.......buck 973 .............total 1443 basline
2007..............1314.................... 1751 5 years
2009...............703.................... 1110 7 years
All that shows is a reduction in total population which is good for an area. Show me age class percentages of those bucks harvested in 2009. Mind you, 2009 trended way low state wide as far as overall harvest due to the severe winter previous of that fall.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.