Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 277 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 32.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
I agree with the restrictions, I hunt state land in northern MI, and private by my home in Mid-MI. The one problem I see with the doe tags is in the area I hunt in northern MI is they give private land owners tags and state land gets none. I find this a problem. You would think we would see all sorts of deer yet out of our group of four hunters that hunted the 13th thru the 17th we only saw 4 deer total and I saw three of them. This system has been going on for years. If you give out tags give them to all or none. All this proves is that the private land owners, some not all are going on to state land and harvesting does dragging them to there property and tagging them. Why else the low sightings. I think it's time for the DNRE to start managing the deer right and stop the nonsense.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Obviously you don't read very well. I was saying that we do not see alot of deer yet they keep giving out tags to land owners. No I don't want a doe tag for there, and in my own opinion I think one buck a year would be great and if you shoot a button buck your buck tag goes on it. Besides if I wanted to shoot a doe I would do it where I hunt in close to home, I see anywhere from 10 to 12 a night. What I am pointing out is that the DNRE is not managing the herd properly. Next time read and ask questions instead of labeling someone as a complaner or whiner such as yourself.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I couldn't agree more, But I think the U.P. needs three sections as well due to different habitat types. And the NLP needs to be divided into two units east and west due to they t.b. area and the zones different habitat types. And start the NLP units strait across from Bay City to the west.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I guess I worded it a little weird. I was ranting more about how poor the DNRE has managed the area. My Dad and Uncle have been hunting in the area since 1976 and I started in the 80's and have only seen does tags given out maybe twice since I started. We have gone from seeing 20 deer a night to seeing 4 over a weekend. Where are all the deer if they don't give doe tags to state land hunters? The point I'm trying to get at is how can you police an area like this to keep people honest. Just like having one county 3 points on a side or better, how to you keep some hunters honest? If you hunt close to the county line just shoot anything and drag it to the other side and tag it, then prove where it was shot. Just bad management IMO.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.