Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 277 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 32.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
What's wrong with big antlers? Everyone likes good racks, everyone.
Consider this, one who states they don't care about antlers, given the choice between a 160lb mature doe, and a 120lb forkhorn. 90% of the time, from a 'meat' hunter...guess what gets shot if they have choice? Yep, the forkhorn.
Take that same hunter, that same forkhorn and set it next to a 120 lb 8pt, guess which one gets shot? Yep, the 8pt.

Anyone can say whatever they wish, but this is the truth. Everyone cares about antlers, some are just more serious than others, but make no mistake....everyone is about the antlers. I have yet to hear from any of the taxidermist friends that I have, tell me that his shop is overflowing with doe shoulder mounts. ;-)

Ps. Take all three deer and the same hunter, guess what he shoots? Now which deer yields the most meat? We all know the answer, and guess what, really there is nothing wrong with that. Just don't hide truths with nonsense, the real world doesn't work that way.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,660 Posts
I don't hide it, I make no apologies for it either. Here is the rub, does it make any sense whatsoever to complain about the Northern herd getting 'wiped out' and to stop with antlerless deer, with no restrictions on buck harvests? It doesn't even make rational sense. I see it as a rational step in a complimentary management style to very carefully walk thru your doe harvest, but place some reasonable restrictions on bucks as well. You cannot honestly believe if the herd is truly being decimated that stopping the doe harvests will help with numbers will make sense without restrictions on bucks, you truly live in a fools paradise.
I will entertain the thought, please bear with me. If the numbers are really that bad, take your word on it, the DNR will make adjustments. They have in the past, while the herd is trying to recover, the pressure on the bucks will be astronmical (especially the 1.5 year old class) without regulations on buck harvests. Currently, what is on the table are APR's. It still gives you options, you don't have to buy the combo license and harvest one buck of your choosing 3inches or better. If you purchase the combo tag, quite a few of the 1.5 year old will receive much needed protection, but still have the option of getting one of that age class if you really want to. You can still get your second buck, with tighter restrictions. With all of this being said, if its that bad, why would a consciencous hunter even fathom taking 2 bucks, quite possibly in the same age class anyways is beyond me. I grew up hunting in the 80's and remember what that was like. Deer everywhere, couldn't get a doe permit. Clamping down the doe harvest does make sense, but if it is really that bad, would it not be very prudent to place restrictions on the buck harvest beyond current regs to ensure viable hunting in the future? If you don't place some restrictions on bucks while clamping down on the does it will get as bad or worse than the traditional management practices in the 80' and into the early 90's. Everyone will be upset and belly aching about not seeing bucks, and will kill the very first buck they see, and turn around and look for another one. Been down that road before, it didn't work out to well. We need some restrictions on our buck harvest, especially in the areas where the herd has been hit the hardest.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 3 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.