Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 277 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 32.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
882 Posts
We now go to Missouri every year for 7-8 days, a state that has adopted MARS to much of the state (4 points on one side). In discussions with numerous local hunters, this was very much to the intitial dissatisfaction of Missouri deer hunters for many of the same reasons we hear in Michigan "The DNR shouldn't tell me what I can shoot...etc". However, we are now several years into this MANDATORY restriction and the response is nothing short of outstanding. I have asked some of those same hunters their thought now and it is a complete 180. No, they do not have the number of hunters we have but so what. Their archery season opens Sept. 15, they have a youth hunt the last weekend of October, and a 10 day firearm season that opens the second Saturday of November. There are many similarities and I can say from experience that the number of quality bucks is incredible.

Time for a change in Michigan. Make this state a place where local hunters want to stay and spend their money in local establishments during a week vacation, not spending in other states. I would gladly stay here if I thought I had similar chances at a quality, older buck, but that just is not the case.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.