Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

• Yes

Votes: 277 67.7%
  • No

Votes: 132 32.3%
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 110 Posts

·
Registered
10,158 Posts
Do you support Statewide Antler Point Restrictions?

Comments will be allowed, however please direct them to the APR work group and not eachother. This forum will follow the same rules and guidelines as the whitetail forum.

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
I said no on this one because the antler development between the souther part of the state and the northern are much different. So I do not see how state wide APR would work in the SLP as to how they would work in the NLP or UP. IMO the goal of APR's is to help advance the age structure, and in the SLP the normal APR's would still allow for alot of 1.5 y/o bucks to be killed. I witness many 1.5 y/o bucks who sport 6 to 8 points in their first year of growing antlers.

·
Premium Member
6,773 Posts
I voted yes. I hunt near an area that had 3 points on a side and even though I was not in that area we still witnessed a difference in our nearby hunting area. It was great to see older age class deer.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
I voted YES but I think that the APR should apply to the various zones (SLP, NLP, and UP) or even on a county level. I think that on the county level it would be harder to control than if it were on a zone level. Even if the3 or better on one side APR were put into effect for the whole SLP it would still protect some 1.5yo bucks. Just my .02 though...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I voted yes. But I don't support it for anyone under 18. You need to make sure you hook them into hunting deer before having restrictions and maybe any first year hunters over the age of 18 should qualify for an exemption .

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
No.,,, but if you're trying to advance buck age structure,,, why not just go with a "no spike's" rule??
I would also rather see a "no spike" rule more than anything but I would vote for an APR if thats my only choice. I just hope this doesnt involve combo tags only like da U.P.

CB

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Just incase any one of important reads this why not just a one buck rule state wide?
This way hunters can shoot what they want, but just one.
I ask every hunter I converse with after they shoot a "small" buck, if they only had one tag to put on a buck if they would of shot this one, all say no.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Just incase any one of important reads this why not just a one buck rule state wide?
This way hunters can shoot what they want, but just one.
I ask every hunter I converse with after they shoot a "small" buck, if they only had one tag to put on a buck if they would of shot this one, all say no.

:yeahthat:

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
I voted yes because it was the closest to what I think. It would need to be split into NLP, UP, SLP obviously. The OBR would work for the best I think.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yes, yes, yes, APR's will help any area and they help with the learning curve, personally i think all 1.5 year old bucks should live and most 2.5 but anywhere is a start.. 4 on a side would help everywhere tremendously....:)

·
Premium Member
18,915 Posts
Ill take any thing we can get. I vote yes but would like to see obr instead but 2 tags with 4points on both sides would be great.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
I would like to see 4 on a side south of the bridge and 3 on a side north of the bridge and OBR. Keep the combo w/archery doe as part of it.

·
Banned
5,167 Posts
If we go to a state wide antler restriction over the 4 on one side we currently have. I can't help but wonder how far the license sales will have to drop of before they realize they made a huge mistake.

1 - 20 of 110 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.