Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
A friend's native friend on the pier with him throwing rocks at a certain netting craft long ago. But not that long ago.

What matters more , take? Or method of take?
Which has priority , native take , or non native sports take?

Balance is in the resource more than what removes from the resource.
Splitting the baby sounds easy enough. But someone is going to get the bigger half.
Who and why shouldn't be based on revenue.

So says I , non committee member.

·
Registered
22,761 Posts
The article is very one sided to say the least. The tribes gave up the right to half the fish in the treaty area unless you ask a tribal member who says they have all the right to every fish. Look at their side, why would they want to give up even a tiny portion more without compensation is really what’s at stake. There is plenty of water out there that does not fall under the 2020 consent decree that’s open to all, feel free to use it. Both sides negotiated in good faith and the Federal government ensures the treaty rights are upheld. There will be an agreement made in time but one thing for sure both sides will think they got screwed.

One thing that had not been taken to the courts is hunting rights on all the private land that falls under the treaty. Neither side wants to lose that in court, that’s why neither side has filed suit. I know I would not want to share my private land that I thought I purchased all the rights for.

View attachment 838990
Till required for settlement.
No period (.) following the right to hunt. It is subject to native occupancy as stated ; prior to being needed for settlement.

[Article Thirteenth. The Indians stipulate for the right of hunting on the lands ceded, with the other usual privileges of occupancy, until the land is required for settlement.]

set·tle·ment
[ˈsedlmənt]

NOUN
  1. an official agreement intended to resolve a dispute or conflict:
    "unions succeeded in reaching a pay settlement" ·
    [more]
    synonyms:
    agreement · deal · arrangement · resolution · accommodation · bargain · understanding · pact · compromise · decision · conclusion · determination
  2. a place, typically one that has hitherto been uninhabited, where people establish a community:
    "the little settlement of Buttermere"
    synonyms:
    community · colony · outpost · encampment · trading post · post ·
    [more]
  3. law
    an arrangement whereby property passes to a succession of people as dictated by the settlor:
    "inheritance tax could be due if you make a substantial gift or settlement and then die within the following seven years"

1 - 2 of 2 Posts