Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
4,325 Posts
Can someone give me a Cliff Notes version of what the treaty allows natives to do that has people so worked up? I really have no idea, having lived in Michigan only a few years.

But I’ve fished and hunted everywhere on all the Great Lakes, and I’ve never run into a situation where I wasn’t able to do what I wanted.

· Registered
4,325 Posts
Thanks guys. So it’s really just commercial fishing that they have exclusive rights to?

As long as recreational fishing is allowed anywhere I don’t really see what the hubbub is about. From a commercial standpoint, I don’t see it as being very attractive. I mean the state is pretty straightforward on the levels of pollution present in the fish, is there really a commercial market for something people aren’t suppose to eat much of?

I’m sure I’m stepping on toes but I don’t mean to. Just a relatively new Michigander trying to get up to speed.

· Registered
4,325 Posts
Not trying to be obtuse, but is there a reason you won’t answer the question? I definitely understand the encouragement to go and see, and talk to people, but as much as I might like to attend the powwow, i know I’m not going to be able to.

Could you just answer the question and give us your opinion on what the general public is unaware of?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts