Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Make no mistake. The sportfishermen and women of this state are on their way to getting screwed. The only way to protect ourselves is to support the one entity in the negotiations soley representing the sports fishery in Mi and that is the coalition. They are in the process of building a war chest to challenge the outcome in court if that gives you any idea on how they feel things are going. If you care about this subject you need to put your money where your mouth is. I have

Donate – Coalition to Protect MI Resources

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Without legislation & true enforcement your just pissin in the wind! Tell me again why I keep giving money to have someone sit in a room that has no authority to speak or hear? We have zero ground to stand on the way things are now! Like it or not
Because they advise the state on the wants and needs of the sports fishing community and also aid in legal expertise to nail down the results of the negotiations. If the State totally screws the pooch the Coalition actually knows what went down during the negotiations vs the story the State,Feds, and tribes may try to forward.
Feel free to throw your hands in the air. I'll choose to fight in any way I can. Throwing $100 is equivalent to a days gas bill. Seems like a good deal to me to support the group who is our hope for an outcome that is not disastrous.

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Kind of how the Indians got screwed, after the Government gave them all that land, and water in the treaty - and then white people bought, settled, and developed their land ? Talk about trespassing, lol. Traverse City is basically a bunch of Squatters.
Yeah you can say the same thing for the whole State of Mi. We're all squatters

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
Although the current decree has some elements that many sportfisherman find hard to swallow it is not what we're worried about. It's the "2020" decree.
Who's in favor of having gill nets all the way down to Grand Haven on Lake Mi?
Who's in favor of having gill nets all across the inland lakes of 1836 boundaries?
Who's in favor of the tribes determining what and when you can fish?

·
Premium Member
4,049 Posts
You seemed to have implied that you learned a good deal by having conversations with tribe members, which shed light on information the general public isn't privy to. The consent decree and federal court's opinion on the matter is public information, so the information you're eluding to won't be found there. What's the side of the equation that you've been informed of as it relates to the tribes position others aren't aware of?

I'm guessing there are many folks who'd look at things through a different lens with the knowledge of the information you've obtained through discussions with tribal members or those closely connected.
Excellent post. I too would like to benefit from this information and look forward to you sharing as much as you can

1 - 7 of 7 Posts