Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
Because they advise the state on the wants and needs of the sports fishing community and also aid in legal expertise to nail down the results of the negotiations. If the State totally screws the pooch the Coalition actually knows what went down during the negotiations vs the story the State,Feds, and tribes may try to forward.
Feel free to throw your hands in the air. I'll choose to fight in any way I can. Throwing $100 is equivalent to a days gas bill. Seems like a good deal to me to support the group who is our hope for an outcome that is not disastrous.
I used to think that way. Fact is, the dnr is in a better position to have input & will be directly involved & informed with implementing & enforcing the new laws. A better bet would be to improve our relationship with the DNR. Truth be told, the decree, or lack of, has a profound effect on the charter boat guys & very little effect on the every day fisherman. Suddenly, the prick in the big charter boat that refuses to give way to help a fellow fisherman stay on course, or he runs his wire divers in another fisherman's spread & laughs about it, needs that pee on fishermen to help him stay in business. Irony or karma?

No legislation or enforcement? Nothing will ever change!

·
Premium Member
5,429 Posts
Can someone give me a Cliff Notes version of what the treaty allows natives to do that has people so worked up? I really have no idea, having lived in Michigan only a few years.

But I’ve fished and hunted everywhere on all the Great Lakes, and I’ve never run into a situation where I wasn’t able to do what I wanted.
There is so much going on with this, both current & historically, it’s almost impossible to clif note.

1836 treaty, leaves us with land but tribes retain possession of fishing rights from roughly Frankfort around the tip to roughly alpena.

2000 consent decree, we pay the tribes a ransom for a tid bit of controll over what goes on in this area.

2020 decree expires, tribes are now holding us by the weenie & flickin our aggies because they don’t care what we have to say as they’re fighting between tribes over which one will milk the most cash out of the lakes.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts