Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

121 - 140 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Many abandon stands exist.
Not the fresh current ones.
I've seen them grown into trees. Have seen old tree steps growing into trees too.
Nails ,spikes on old board stands. Spikes for steps .
That's hard on saw blades down the road. Not that you or I lose sleep over state timber values , but it is a consideration we should have by not leaving metal on/in trees.
Timber buyers of sawlogs are not the greatest fans of "yard" trees around homes.
Many have metal in them.
My example is a lag bolt barely sticking out of a red oak when I bought this place. It disappeared as the tree grew.

I quit using trees to hunt out of over a decade ago. Am I anti tree use? Heck no.
I'd hang stands pre hunt and hide my climbing sticks if it was not evening.
But stands were gone shortly after season closed. By rules , but also to ensure they were not left to grow into trees years later.
Believe it or not , my tiny home made and commercial hang ons (chain ons) were hard to find when placed well. Those with small plywood platforms were painted to blend when viewed from the ground. Effective camo is a blending just right. And I was willing to change blending based on where a stand was hung. One recalled almost touched a nice fan shaped cluster of limbs below it's platform. Man , that one blended well. At least for human eyes.

Sure they could be recovered by me whenever.
But when I ended up in an ambulance on dicey terms one Feb. No one else knew where my stands were. Were they pulled? Were they still up? How many?
Who would care about stands left out anyways if I didn't return?

Unrecovered stands obviously abandoned do tell of prior hunt(s).
But they also tell of a non-recovery.
Current rules on public are to recover stands after season.
So some folks get annoyed when they don't get recovered.
And beyond rules , is etiquette.
I really don't want to know where you hunted after you're not hunting.
Just like litter. Or trail marking flagging tape or beer cans ect..
Or a tree that just had to be used for target practice.
Or deer carcasses dumped in the parking area. Plus the prior trash contents of a vehicles floor. Shingles , mattresses , couches, bagged garbage , seaweed, cans ,bottles, plastic santa.
I've seen all that and more. I'd rather be noticing non human sign. Or noticing no sign rather than spotting the uncaring litterbug dumper on public land was here ahead of you. Yet again.
And oh look , a dilapidated stand! Ooo , and another!
Man it must be great hunting around here!
Great post, you summed everything up here! I don't know why people would want to see the woods left any different than when they found it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
It was a good comparison, but you failed to follow along! You were the one who stated nothing should be left on public land, which should include water. I wasn't even referring abandoned shanties. If people dont abandoned shanties due to high fines, then why dont we have that same fine for left stands?
Because people complain about it anytime the department tries to make these rule changes so they never happen. The shantie rules are the way they are because it becomes a safety hazard to have a sunken structure in a lake that can be hit by a boat. People don't see the direct safety hazard as readily when it comes to stands left out on public land so it does not become as important of an issue to law makers.

I hate to say it, but sometimes the bad apples do ruin it for the law abiding few. Way more people are leaving them than those properly labeling and removing them. If you don't want to see law changes I would suggest making every effort to hold the other hunters in your area accountable and talk to them about properly labeling and removing by the deadline. If the law was followed properly I doubt anyone on here would have an issue with it.

PS public land and public water are two vastly different things in how they are managed in this state (just ask any duck hunter about riparian laws) so once again, probably not a great comparison.

·
Registered
256 Posts
People put up stands now and leave them out all year. They just don't label them which was the purpose of this thread. Why should those hunting other types of game be at a disadvantage? It sounds like many of you would have a lot less stress in your lives as well, so two issues resolved.
So instead of holding the violators responsible for breaking that law, you are suggesting we just change it in order to favor the violators??? That makes about as much sense as defunding police...smh

·
Registered
2,854 Posts
So instead of holding the violators responsible for breaking that law, you are suggesting we just change it in order to favor the violators??? That makes about as much sense as defunding police...smh
Not what I said at all. You will still have unmarked stands, that's a fact. I have never seen a marked stand, so I assume they are all unmarked. The current law isn't equal for all hunters, so let's make it equal, either legal all year or not at all.

·
Registered
87 Posts

I just want to throw in here that defunding the police actually does make sense. I would be happy to have a discussion via PM with anyone on the subject as to not derail this thread.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Not what I said at all. You will still have unmarked stands, that's a fact. I have never seen a marked stand, so I assume they are all unmarked. The current law isn't equal for all hunters, so let's make it equal, either legal all year or not at all.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I strongly agree with your last statement. I think that the only way to make it equal is to not allow them to be left out at all. If people could prove that they would label properly and remove them by the date we wouldn't be having this conversation and there would be no reason to need to change the law.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I just want to throw in here that defunding the police actually does make sense. I would be happy to have a discussion via PM with anyone on the subject as to not derail this thread.
Yeahhhh, no thanks, I'll pass on that.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
We'll you want to punish legal hunters and not go after the violators! Makes absolutely no sense, but it goes with the territory.

·
Registered
256 Posts
We'll you want to punish legal hunters and not go after the violators! Makes absolutely no sense, but it goes with the territory.
Never once did I say not to go after violators. I said enforce the current laws (which would be going after violators) and if that cannot be done in any reasonable way then we need to get a new law. Maybe you need to re-read my posts.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
Shanties are a horrible comparison. If a shanty is left out past the removal date it will fall through the ice which usually make for 99% removal rates of shanties. The ones that do go through the ice are always reported and removed. Shanties are also pretty much always labeled (unlike treestands) so when they do go through the ice the DNR has no problem laying down a nice heavy fine on that individual.....good try but there really is no comparison there.
Not always repprted and removed. I see close to a dozen a year on my electronics while bass fishing.

·
Registered
11,175 Posts
I've been hunting state land for 15+ seasons, I come across hundreds of stands a year and over that time I've only ever found two that were labeled in the correct way stated in the hunting digest. I think there are a lot kore illegal stands than you think. Illegal does not just mean that it is left out past the take down date, it also means it has to be labeled so the DNR can actually find and contact you if they need to.

No one is saying all stands are bad, they are saying that they should be out there labeled properly and removed by the removal date. The problem is that is not the case in a lot of situations, thus the law either needs to be enforced or it needs to be changed. I will never understand why people stick up for this kind of stuff.
I agree i have only seen one legal one that met the requiremnt of seeing identification from the ground. I have yet to ever see a single legal baitpile in this state since the restrictions started.

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The Sherriff took it, I do not know if it was sold by THEM along with the rest of the abandoned or seized vehicles.
The tow company must hold the vehicle for 25 days send a certified letter to last registered owner before anything can be done with the vehicle!

Reactions: GIDEON

·
Registered
5,009 Posts
The second part is the correct answer....in no way does making it legal year round make any sense....in that scenario I could just buy 15-20 stands and as long as they are labeled I could just put them up in an area and leave them up forever to claim "my spot". Come on! Public land should be just that...PUBLIC. Not a spot where I go to claim my little piece of ground that I don't have to pay taxes on.
How does this become your spot ? Anyone can use any stand on PUBLIC land so thanks for putting up a stand for me to use !

·
Registered
256 Posts
How does this become your spot ? Anyone can use any stand on PUBLIC land so thanks for putting up a stand for me to use !
Because I'd rather not deal with a hot-headed armed person that I do not know having me in a vulnerable position with no way to get down...way too many loose cannons out there these days to take the chance. I don't hunt out of a stand that isn't mine and I tend to just move on to another spot if I do see one, so I guess you can say I'm feeding right into their game, but I try to respect other people and their hunts and just move on. That's why I get annoyed when people don't follow the laws year after year.

·
Registered
511 Posts
Because I'd rather not deal with a hot-headed armed person that I do not know having me in a vulnerable position with no way to get down...way too many loose cannons out there these days to take the chance. I don't hunt out of a stand that isn't mine and I tend to just move on to another spot if I do see one, so I guess you can say I'm feeding right into their game, but I try to respect other people and their hunts and just move on. That's why I get annoyed when people don't follow the laws year after year.
People that sit in someone else’s stand when it’s obvious it’s used fall under the POS category. Plain and simple there is what’s legal and what’s right.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman mobile app

121 - 140 of 150 Posts