Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

81 - 100 of 150 Posts

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
I'll bet there has never been a ticket written for removing abandoned stands from state or federal land.
99.9% of the people not wanting them removed are the law breaking, lazy hunters who leave them up year after year.

L & O
So it's ok to be a thief after the season and sell things that are not yours ! Like i said can some one please post what laws are ok to break and what ones are not ! Just because you don't like something doesn't give you the right to break the law . You want to pull down stands become a CO then you can pull down all the stands you want LEGALLY !

·
Registered
289 Posts
So basically what I got from reading through this thread is leaving a treestand up on public land for too long is the worst possible crime that could ever be comitted. But being a thief and stealing that stand, even if it takes an angle grinder to get it is perfectly ok.

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
You can get all puffed up and act like a keyboard warrior if you'd like. I'm simply telling you the facts, not whether it's morally right or wrong. Obviously, trespassing is also illegal. There have been many cases of exactly this issue, bud. The LEGAL option, assuming that you can't catch the guy on your property, thusly allowing you to prove your manliness by murdering him for hunting your land (never kill the King's deer... I'm pretty sure that helped separate us from England), is to have a Trooper or CO come to your property. They are allowed to remove it or give you permission to do so.

As an example, say my truck blew a tire and I swerved into your driveway and into a parking spot. There's no tow truck available and I can't get it fixed for a couple of days. You didn't give permission. Can you just sell the car after I leave? Can you have it hauled to OmniSource? No, you cannot. You don't own it or have a legal claim.

Common sense, champ.

pew pew pew

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
BS! You leave a tree stand or pop up on private property and the owner can not touch it, yea right. Who said anything about anything about shooting anybody? When I approach a armed trespasser my gun is at field position, if I am pulled up on guess what, I know I am faster. Sure the DNR says do no approach, I am not scared. And what do you do when somebody tries to rob you? Run like hell? Cower under your bed waiting for a savior? The last vehicle that broke into my place was towed off of it within 30 minutes. Being you are down in Jackson with not that much state land you landowners allow anybody to walk on your property? Sorry my truck broke down, guess I can park it in the middle of that Bean field, I can do what ever I want, yea, right!

·
Registered
5,013 Posts
The last vehicle that broke into my place was towed off of it within 30 minutes
Don't you mean you sold it so you could get collage money for your kid ? it couldn't be you FOLLOWED the law and had it towed ! So now the tow company has to go through the process of doing it correctly !

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
BS! You leave a tree stand or pop up on private property and the owner can not touch it, yea right. Who said anything about anything about shooting anybody? When I approach a armed trespasser my gun is at field position, if I am pulled up on guess what, I know I am faster. Sure the DNR says do no approach, I am not scared. And what do you do when somebody tries to rob you? Run like hell? Cower under your bed waiting for a savior? The last vehicle that broke into my place was towed off of it within 30 minutes. Being you are down in Jackson with not that much state land you landowners allow anybody to walk on your property? Sorry my truck broke down, guess I can park it in the middle of that Bean field, I can do what ever I want, yea, right!
Does somebody need a Brownie,

·
Registered
9,878 Posts
WOW, I literally mean WOW

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Don't you mean you sold it so you could get collage money for your kid ? it couldn't be you FOLLOWED the law and had it towed ! So now the tow company has to go through the process of doing it correctly !
The Sherriff took it, I do not know if it was sold by THEM along with the rest of the abandoned or seized vehicles.

Reactions: TriggerDiscipline

·
Registered
256 Posts
Trying to make a law that allows general public to seize property of another person isnt really possible. It would get challenged by the courts and be shot down if they did pass it. Part of the problem the dnr has with confiscating stands is the mess of work that is created after they take the stand. It isnt a simple thing for the state to seize property because we have a constitution that protects all of us. The officer has to jump through the hoops for a week putting adds in the paper about the properties confiscated. Then he files paperwork with the court and a judge has to award the stand to the state etc... it is a huge waste of time for alot of people. As the officer said in wildthings post....it makes more sense to try to catch the owner using it than to take the stand.

You would have to increase the fine to a ridiculous amount or take away the right to put stands on stateland if you want to fix this.

If we bitch enough about our lazy fellow hunters to the state we could all lose the right to put stands on public lands. Its the only reason I chime in against the people who spout off in these threads about stands left in the woods. That and they have never once bothered me. I dont see the difference in looking at a stand in june or october in a tree. It is no more of an eyesore in the offseason than it is in oct.
These are all good points. I was unaware of all of the legal b.s. that the C.O.s have to go through just to take a stand that is in violation of the law down. That seems pretty silly to me. The law pretty much states that if you leave a stand out on public land that it does not give you exclusive rights to use it. I don't understand why for law enforcement purposes the ownership rights of the stand would not be forfeited once it has been left out past the date and the law has been broken.

I have never said people should be able to go out and just take stands. My thoughts were changing the law or actually enforcing the one we have. I never said regular citizens should be removing stands. We should make it easier for our conservation groups to help the department by giving special permits to these groups to remove the stands for the DNR and give them the stands to either sell or scrap. Why should it be the burden of the C.O. or the department to seek the owner of a piece of property that is illegally placed with no owner name or marking. In my mind if you chose to not mark a stand you are abandoning it and the DNR/ C.O.s should not have to go through all of that paperwork. The law needs to be fixed.

And as for the stands being an eye sore, I don't think this is really the big problem for most people. In my mind the bigger problem is people who leave a stand out to "mark their territory" and get mad when you are hunting "their area" because their stand is there and has been there for years. Like I said, the population of state land/ public land hunters is only continuing to grow with the loss of private land opportunities. We should try to give everyone a equal opportunity to hunt without the worry someone harassing you for being in "their spot" that they claimed with a $30 unmarked stand. Not enforcing the law only emboldens this type of behavior because they continually get away with it. If you are not going to enforce it then don't even bother putting it in the digest.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Just make it no tree stands can be left over night. That gets rid of the litter and stops the guy who puts up 6 stands to claim his 80 acres of public property.
Great idea! Not! Why would you want more laws, which would punish only legal hunters? The guys who leave stands out will still do it anyway. Why not make a law banning the use of scopes on crossbows and guns just because poachers use them? Thankfully our powers that be have more common sense than to make such a stupid law. Can you imagine a kid setting up or taking down a ladder stand in the dark every day? I'm sure injury reports would go up.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Great idea! Not! Why would you want more laws, which would punish only legal hunters? The guys who leave stands out will still do it anyway. Why not make a law banning the use of scopes on crossbows and guns just because poachers use them? Thankfully our powers that be have more common sense than to make such a stupid law. Can you imagine a kid setting up or taking down a ladder stand in the dark every day? I'm sure injury reports would go up.
Then stop using ladder stands if you can't put it up? It's worth helping to get rid of the garbage left in the woods every year.

·
Registered
256 Posts
A lot of states have laws against leaving stands and blinds on public land over night/unattended. Laws change all the time and people have to adapt. No one is forcing you to drag a bulky and heavy ladder stand out into the woods. There are plenty of lightweight portable options available at decent price points these days and being more mobile will only help increase your odds on public land.

It seems to be an unwillingness to move and adapt that causes issues and disagreements on public land. The people who put their big ladder stand out there get mad when someone else (who has just as much right to be there) is hunting near "their spot" because they never have a plan B,C, or D option. They put all their eggs in one basket and get mad that their plan got messed up and they don't want to adapt. When I make a plan to hunt public land I go out there fully prepared that someone will be in my best spot and I just move on and hunt another spot I prepared for as well. Being more mobile helps.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Not to mention kids can't even hunt alone on public land until they are 17:
upload_2021-1-22_8-17-44.png

I would be surprised if your average 17 year old could not set up a climber or hang on stand.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Then stop using ladder stands if you can't put it up? It's worth helping to get rid of the garbage left in the woods every year.
I use a climber, but my boys use ladder stands and one of the boys has a handicap. There is not a stand on the market that is safer than a ladder stand.

Thankfully I will NEVER have to worry about a law so obscured. The state is trying to increase hunter numbers not decrease them.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I use a climber, but my boys use ladder stands and one of the boys has a handicap. There is not a stand on the market that is safer than a ladder stand.

Thankfully I will NEVER have to worry about a law so obscured. The state is trying to increase hunter numbers not decrease them.
Actually disagree very much with the ladder stand being the safest. I think a climber is as you are literally attached (should be) to the tree 100% of the time. Hang ons and ladder stands have those points of installation that are not as safe as a climber.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Not to mention kids can't even hunt alone on public land until they are 17:
View attachment 634689

I would be surprised if your average 17 year old could not set up a climber or hang on stand.
The dosen't say you have to sit in the same stand as a kid. It only specifies you mst be able to see them and communicate. I could be a long way away and still be legal. Plus you're suggesting I now carry 2 stands in the field if a take a younger kid. Crazy!

·
Registered
256 Posts

I'm positive that any change in law would have exemptions for handicapped hunters. Not really sure how being able to leave your stuff out on a publicly owned piece of property helps to increase hunting numbers, but everybody is allowed to have their own opinion.

I also beg to differ that there isn't a safer stand on the market. The only way a stand is safe is if you are attached to the tree from the time you leave the ground until you return. If you use a life line in combination with a ladder stand then yes it is safe, but I am just as safe in my tree saddle attached to the tree the entire time (even when climbing).

If you don't want to see a rule change then take your stand down by the deadline and label it properly. Urge your fellow hunters to do the same and stop making excuses for the people breaking the law. They are the ones that will ruin it for you in the long run. The issue being addressed in this thread was not towards people following the rule, but unfortunately 99% of the stands out there are unlabeled and often left out past the date.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Actually disagree very much with the ladder stand being the safest. I think a climber is as you are literally attached (should be) to the tree 100% of the time. Hang ons and ladder stands have those points of installation that are not as safe as a climber.
Climbers are still limited to tree types. Ladder stands are still the safest once set up. They teach that in hunter safety. Some new models have jaws that can be deployed from the ground securing it to the tree before climbing.

·
Registered
256 Posts

Climbers can also be dangerous because they give the user a false sense of security and many people do not use them in conjunction with a safety harness that is attached the entire time. I have used hang-ons and saddles and as long as you are using either a linesman belt or life line they are all safe options when used with caution.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Not sure what the solution would be to all these stands left on public land... Even if all types of tree stands are made illegal, I'd guess there would be a massive jump in cheap folding chairs left to rot in the woods from lazy ground hunters.
Look at legal, public target shooting areas on state land.. Target shooters leave all sorts of garbage and junk, turning these areas into massive eyesores.. Ruining it for everyone else so that the DNR will eventually have no choice but to close it down.

81 - 100 of 150 Posts