Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
19,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://buckfax.com/20150111/administration/advertisement/state-record-fraudulent-record-removed

Even if you are not interested in the whole article, please read the last paragraph.

You might remember another big buck being removed from the record book a couple of years ago. That one was also from a high fence farm.

Who knows how many, if any, other bucks were taken from high fence farms or from another state. CBM relies on hunter ethics and other hunters to come forward when information suggest cheating.

L & O

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
So when people question things on message boards and evidence is reported, that is actually what needs to be done to prevent fraudulent entries? Some on here have attacked people who questioned things. CBM seems to think hunter self policing is the way to go.

Don't take it personally if things are questioned. It is part of the process.

·
Premium Member
30,304 Posts
It looks like Mr. Beattie has a facebook page with a picture of him holding a nice set of antlers. I wonder if that is the one that CBM nocked off their list.

This is the Woods-n-Water News article from June, 2013 that describes his buck.
In the picture in the article on the web page you will see that he wrapped the kill tag on one of the antlers.

Beattie said,
"I had not seen the nontypical before nor did I have any trail camera pictures of him. He must have been pushed in from a different area."
I don'rt think game ranches let you put trail cameras on their property.

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Ar...01-215871.112113-State-record-nontypical.html

State record nontypical

CROSSBOW BUCK

by Richard P. Smith
June 01, 2013

The state record score among nontypical bucks bagged with crossbows keeps edging higher. New record marks in that category have been achieved three times in the last two years. Jamie Beattie from Owosso was the latest hunter to collect a nontypical with a crossbow that has antlers larger than all of the others previously entered in state records.

He bagged an 18-pointer in Shiawassee County on November 6 that had an official gross score of 189 1/8 and the antlers netted 186 4/8 after deductions were subtracted for symmetry from one antler to the other. Net scores are the ones entered in state records.

A pair of state record nontypicals were taken with crossbows during 2011, both of which were bagged in Monroe County.

On November 14, 2011, Brad Burton from Monroe arrowed a 16-pointer that gross scored 188 2/8 and netted 180 7/8. On November 30, Larry Hensley, who also lives in Monroe, collected a 15-pointer that grossed 189 7/8 and netted 183 4/8. Burton's buck was measured during the 2011 scoring period, which closed at the end of March 2012. The antlers from Hensley's buck weren't measured until May of last year.

Last fall was Beattie's first year of hunting with a crossbow and he made good use of the 175-pound-pull Carbon Express that he purchased last September. Due to a torn rotator cuff on one shoulder, he could no longer draw the compound bow he preferred to hunt with previously.

"Being able to hunt with a crossbow was a better alternative than not being able to bowhunt at all," Beattie said. "I didn't get the crossbow until the first or second week of September. It didn't take long to sight it in. After five or six shots, I had it sighted in."

As a veteran bowhunter with 23 years of experience, Jamie said he's selective about the bucks he shoots. The fact that the big nontypical he got with the crossbow is not the first 180 class buck to his credit, nor is the crossbow buck his biggest, hints at why he's selective.

His best buck is a 15-point nontypical that he got with a muzzleloader on the last day of the 2011 firearms season. Those antlers measured 191. He shot that whitetail from the same treestand that he connected on the crossbow buck from.

"I don't shoot anything under 140 anymore," Beattie stated. "I've been managing my property for 10 years now to produce big bucks. To tell you the truth, I had my mind set on getting another deer that would have scored 150 to 160 when I got the 18-pointer.

"I had not seen the nontypical before nor did I have any trail camera pictures of him. He must have been pushed in from a different area."

Rightfully so, Jamie calls the treestand he shot the state record buck from his "hotspot." The stand overlooks a runway that leads from an alfalfa field down into a swamp. The stand is 10 to 15 yards in the woods from the field. The nearby terrain slopes downhill into a river bottom, too.

Beattie got the buck about 9 a.m. and he knew the whitetail was a big one when he saw it. As the deer approached an opening for a shot, the bowhunter used a grunt call to stop it. The buck paused briefly, but then continued down the trail. A second grunt from the call brought the buck to a stop at 35 to 40 yards.

"When I hit him, I didn't know I hit him," Jamie explained. "I had the crosshairs from the scope on my crossbow where I wanted the arrow to hit when I shot, but he never moved. He never flinched. I was freaking out. I was thinking, 'There's no way I missed him.'

"Then he took off. He only went 15 to 20 yards before he went down."

Jamie said does had used that runway earlier in the day. He also walked on the trail within view of the stand that morning before climbing in the stand, after applying Tink's 69 scent to the bottom of his boots. He felt the scent might have played a role in attracting the buck.

The broadhead that brought the state record buck down was a 3-blade Muzzy.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
http://buckfax.com/20150111/administration/advertisement/state-record-fraudulent-record-removed

Even if you are not interested in the whole article, please read the last paragraph.

You might remember another big buck being removed from the record book a couple of years ago. That one was also from a high fence farm.

Who knows how many, if any, other bucks were taken from high fence farms or from another state. CBM relies on hunter ethics and other hunters to come forward when information suggest cheating.

L & O
Are you talking about Ike Swan? Are they both xbow, cause its the cheapest record to break?

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-i-2011-01-01-206969.112113-New-state-crossbow-record.html

http://www.woods-n-waternews.com/Articles-In-This-Issue-i-2012-01-01-210704.112113-Buck-taken-from-enclosure.html

·
Registered
19,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
His best buck is a 15-point nontypical that he got with a muzzleloader on the last day of the 2011 firearms season. Those antlers measured 191. He shot that whitetail from the same treestand that he connected on the crossbow buck from.

If that is true, then that buck was also taken from a game farm. Who knows what's true and what isn't true with this guy.
Probably told the same set of lies to wife and all other family members.

Congrats to a member from this site that help bring the truth forward.

L & O

·
Registered
19,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

L & O

This guy has to be brain dead. He never heard the old saying “Two can keep a secret as long as one is dead”? What an embarrassment to face! I guess some people don’t get embarrassed?

There used to be two brothers that deer hunted by us and they both worked at (I took it out) a fenced game preserve 3 miles away from where I hunt. There was more than one hunter in our area who was truly scared of them because they were so "off".

They scared the sh.t out of me and my buddy coming out one night in the dark by busting out of the woods, both wet to their waist asking us if we had seen a lost “little boy” on our way out, you can imagine! They started to follow us out and man, the one stayed inches from me and kept admiring my rifle, you know?

Anyway, as they talked (babbled) on it became clear that the “little boy” was 18 and had maybe left in his own car!

Can you imagine someone shooting a record buck where these two worked and trying to keep it a secret? What was that guy thinking?

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
In a state where I'd estimate one buck out of 100,000 will gross 180 inches, the guy who claims to have killed two 180+ inch deer is immediately suspect.

Smart cheaters would focus on the crossbow record because it was a category that didn't previously exist and would thus be easier/less expensive to become the record holder.

No doubt in my mind that some in the hunting industry who are "consistent" big buck killers are consistently tagging deer that have spent their whole life in a pen.

·
Registered
14,625 Posts
This guy has to be brain dead. He never heard the old saying “Two can keep a secret as long as one is dead”? What an embarrassment to face! I guess some people don’t get embarrassed?

There used to be two brothers that deer hunted by us and they both worked at (I took it out) a fenced game preserve 3 miles away from where I hunt. There was more than one hunter in our area who was truly scared of them because they were so "off".

They scared the sh.t out of me and my buddy coming out one night in the dark by busting out of the woods, both wet to their waist asking us if we had seen a lost “little boy” on our way out, you can imagine! They started to follow us out and man, the one stayed inches from me and kept admiring my rifle, you know?

Anyway, as they talked (babbled) on it became clear that the “little boy” was 18 and had maybe left in his own car!

Can you imagine someone shooting a record buck where these two worked and trying to keep it a secret? What was that guy thinking?
I'd suspect that game ranch owners keep their mouths zipped tight when they see these antics, as it would be bad for business to do otherwise.

On the other hand, few employees of a game ranch would have any reason to stay quiet.

·
Registered
11,409 Posts

L & O
Someone lied about shooting a monster buck? No! Lol.

·
Registered
642 Posts
I just wonder what in the -ell the guy was thinking when he fed that line of -hit to
Richard P. Smith for the article in Woods-N-Waters. About the only record this guy deserves is Best Bull_hitter in Michigan.

·
Premium Member
7,023 Posts
Sad. Sure did spin a tale.

At least the actual record was a Monroe County buck!! Kinda nice to know a record of that caliber lived within 5 miles of me.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I read a little book on the Rompola buck and in it they discussed the documentation you need to go through if you shoot what you think is a record buck.
You round up all the witnesses you can get while it’s still in the field. You take lots of pictures in the field, you record your time when you shot it, got it home, etc.. They grill you about like the cops on a murder case.
I can’t believe he just told them he shot it with no documentation like this and they bought it.
Another little thing, can you imagine what he paid the game preserve for that deer? Not to mention maybe a little hush money?
The two nutty brothers I wrote about in a post above once showed us a brochure of the prices for deer taken out of there. My jaw dropped! This was like 20 years ago but I remember it was $6,000 and up!

·
Registered
10,803 Posts
I read a little book on the Rompola buck and in it they discussed the documentation you need to go through if you shoot what you think is a record buck.
You round up all the witnesses you can get while it’s still in the field. You take lots of pictures in the field, you record your time when you shot it, got it home, etc.. They grill you about like the cops on a murder case.
I can’t believe he just told them he shot it with no documentation like this and they bought it.
Another little thing, can you imagine what he paid the game preserve for that deer? Not to mention maybe a little hush money?
The two nutty brothers I wrote about in a post above once showed us a brochure of the prices for deer taken out of there. My jaw dropped! This was like 20 years ago but I remember it was $6,000 and up!
You have no more obligation than to sign the fair chase statement on the score sheet. If you know you are legit, screw everyone else.

It's unfortunate it's come to having to take a bunch of witnesses, CO, news reporter, etc, with you on the recovery effort, all to appease a bunch of jealous
know it all's.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts