Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard about the State Park Fee's going up?? My wife mentioned something to me yesterday that she heard on the radio that the rates where going up. Then a friend stopped by and mentioned the same thing. I checked the DNR web site and MICH.gov site and can't find any articles about this.

·
Premium Member
2,194 Posts
I read something in the paper the other day about it going to $15.00 per night. But, I don't remember if it was state parks or forest campgrounds. I only remember because I thought that was a little high. I don't camp much any more so I really don't know how that compares to what it is now, or if that really is a lot for one night.

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
I would like to know when my pay check is going to go up:D Everything keeps going up but the working man's paycheck.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
tedshunter said:
I would like to know when my pay check is going to go up:D Everything keeps going up but the working man's paycheck.
what are you saying?:confused: do you mean to tell me with the 'new math' you don't have 3 times the cash you used to have to spend?:16suspect

·
Registered
403 Posts
Amen to that! Pretty soon we wont be able to afford to leave the driveway. Hopefully costs won't go too high for the average working person to be able to afford to have some fun.

Greg

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
check the prices at koa . for what you get state land cost is a bargin

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
State forest campground fees will increase on Monday

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070511/UPDATE/705110446/1003/METRO

05/11/07 the associated press

LANSING -- Higher fees to stay in state forest campgrounds will take effect Monday.

Michigan Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries signed an order boosting the fees Thursday, DNR spokeswoman Mary Dettloff said.

Nightly fees at the state's rustic campgrounds will increase from $10 to $15.

Camping fees will go from $10 to $20 a night for equestrian, off-road vehicle and semi-modern camp sites.

The nightly fee for individuals camping with a church or school group will go from $3 to $6.

The DNR says Michigan's 143 forest campgrounds aren't bringing in enough revenue to cover their operating and maintenance costs.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Unless you're on welfare, they get discounts at the state campgrounds, I wonder how much their rate will change if an all.:smile-mad

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
"Unless you're on welfare, they get discounts at the state campgrounds, I wonder how much their rate will change if an all."

There is no change at all since welfare recipients get no discounts.

·
Registered
18,038 Posts
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
May 11, 2007

State Forest Campground Fees to Increase on Monday

The fees for camping at state forest campgrounds will increase effective Monday, following action taken by Department of Natural Resources Director Rebecca Humphries at Thursday’s meeting of the Michigan Natural Resources Commission.

“Fees paid by campers in state forest campgrounds are put right back into the campgrounds for the operation and maintenance of these facilities,” said Humphries. “For several years, the campgrounds have not generated the revenue needed to meet these costs, and this has created both a short- and long-term deficit in the Forest Recreation Fund.”

Fees for state forest campgrounds will increase for many different types of camping. For designated campground sites, the fees will go from $10 to $15 per campsite, per night. For equestrian, off-road vehicle and semi-modern campgrounds, the fee will increase from $10 to $20 per campsite, per night. Designated group campground rates will increase from $3 to $6 per person, per night. And for cabins at two state forest campgrounds - Presque Isle and Lime Island - the rates will be raised from $35 and $45 per night, respectively, to $65 per night. Senior rates at campgrounds and weekly rates at cabins will be eliminated. There will be no fee for dispersed camping on state forest land.

The fees paid by campers have historically been used to pay for routine maintenance and capital outlay needs of managing the campgrounds. These costs include the annual licensing and inspection fees from regulatory agencies; trash removal; vault toilet pumping and cleaning; well water supply and testing fees; environmental restoration, renovation and stabilization; lawn mowing and trimming, replacing damaged or aged facilities; road grading and gravel; cleaning supplies; toilet paper; maintenance fuel; the printing expense for informational posters and brochures; and the salaries and wages of personnel who work in the campground program.

“Maintaining the integrity of the Forest Recreation Program is critical to the DNR’s land management responsibilities,” Humphries said. “State forest campgrounds were first developed in the 1920s as a fire control initiative, and have since expanded to 143 campgrounds with 3,361 designated and group campsites.”

Support for the increases came from several statewide organizations that are part of the DNR’s Forest Management Advisory Committee. Groups that offered support for the increases included the Michigan Snowmobile Association, the American Motorcyclist Association, the Sierra Club of Michigan and the Michigan United Conservation Clubs.

The DNR is committed to the conservation, protection, management, use and enjoyment of the state’s natural resources for current and future generations.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Hamilton Reef said:
There is no change at all since welfare recipients get no discounts.
I wish you were correct HR. You may be partially correct though as I don't know if this only applies to vehicle permits or other amenities. Direct from the DNR website:

Q3: What's the Bridge Card permit used for?

A3: This permit was established in 2004 to allow people who receive food stamps to enjoy the amenities of state parks at a reduced rate. It encourages non-traditional visitors to become regular park visitors, campers and boaters. Parks will sell a Bridge Card MVP when the name on the Bridge Card exactly matches the name on the registration of the vehicle. The MVP immediately must be installed on the vehicle. These permits are not available by mail or on-line.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Looks like it's dispersed camping for myself from now on.

I can crap in the woods without a wooden box around me...the smell will be more pleasant as well. Not seeing what else the state forest camp grounds really offer...that is, unless it's a bunch of other people's trash that I end up picking up, and ORV and dirtbike guys that drink way too much.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
You're right snowman, I'd rather get the camping permit and find my own spot in the woods. Much more enjoyable IMO.

·
Registered
3,420 Posts
The cost for State Park camping will continue to go up until we stop filling the campgrounds. I'm camping at more private campgrounds, you get more for your money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts