Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be deer hunting up north and we plan to stay on state forest land and not at an actual state park campground. What kind of permit do I need and where do I get it?

·
Registered
490 Posts
I am under the belief that your local DNR office can get it for you. I will find out for sure if that is the case tomorrow.

I hope it is the same for the Manistee National Forest....

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
just call your local dnr office and they can tell ya. i am not sure to be honest. how far north you going?

·
Registered
490 Posts
Not every DNR office has them. I stopped at Brighton State Park to check with them. They said I should apply online, and wait the two weeks to get it. THey also said I could get one in Baldwin. I ended up contacting via phone (had to get number on my own...DNR did not provide it for me).

Baldwin said they did not have it, and I should get it from the Flat River Game area in Belding.

I made the trip to Belding to pick it up. In all the rain and wind, it was pretty useless at the campsite. It als said to leave it in the area when we leave. I did not. I did not want my name and contact information left on "litter" as I leave the woods.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
The law says that "the permit must be left."

If you dont want to follow then better figure out someplace else to camp.

As to the "with litter"-clean it up and there wont be any litter. This system has worked for many years.

·
Registered
3,802 Posts
If I remember right they had to be filled out in pencil and left. (How stupid is that?) I never left mine because of the personal info that is on them. Call your local Fire Field Office. They always had the placards while the local regular DNR offices never did.
Where are you going? The local FFO is the best. :D:fish:

·
Registered
3,577 Posts
I did mine online a few weks ago at the dnr site and had them in three days. I do have a few in front of me. I am just north of grand rapids if ya need one.

·
Registered
3,484 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the responses. My hunting partner called and has a place we can pick them up on the way. Now I can only hope they are open. If not then I will be taking my chances and won't have one. It is just a registration right? Is there a fee for camping on open state forest lands?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts