Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the herculean task of ridding our workplace of an invasion of European starlings. I work between the Palace of Auburn Hills and the HUGE landfill just north of it. For @ 2 weeks now huge flocks of starlings have been hanging around our building. We just had the windows washed at a cost of nearly $7600.00 and we are now back to square one. I ordered an electronic starling in distress player that I will be setting on the roof on Monday. The landfill will be getting a couple of air cannons for us to use next week and I have been letting off bottle rockets to scare them away. Hunting of any kind with any weapon is illegal in Auburn Hills. Does anybody have any other suggestions. These things are as bad if not worse than pigeons........HELLLLP!!

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
Hang some Hawk or Owls Dekes around the building, or this may sound strange hang rubber snakes(the bigger the better) around the building. We had a problem a few years back and did this and with in a few days no birds.

·
Registered
2,973 Posts
I've been seeing big flocks on my way into work. The only thing I've done when we had problems was to shoot a few with an air gun and the rest got the idea.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
I would try some Hawk and Owl decoys. Move them around every couple days. I had a lot of trouble with sparrows eating our grass seed. I got a couple owl decoys and they work great. No trouble anymore. Goodluck...I would definately try the air cannons, just because i think it would be cool to do.

·
Registered
4,651 Posts
Perhaps an Animal Damage Control Company can help out?
Oh I wish they'd allow a "driven shoot" for starlings there.
I could see 30 shooters dressed in breeks shooting starlings :)
The English would have nothing on us :)

·
Registered
61 Posts
If they are pearching on the roof there are a couple of products to keep them off. One of them looks like a slinky that birds do not like to land on and the other is a spikey contraption that does not allow any area for the birds to land. I am not sure who provides these products but wildlife services would know. They also may be able to give you more ideas.

·
Registered
7,333 Posts
I would use 22 CB Caps and open a window. This will allow you to take care of those pesky critters!!;) :p :D

·
Super Moderator
37,755 Posts
I find the air cannons to be an intriguing idea. Just how far will one of those launch a starling?;) :D

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
Cats....Lots of cats.

LOL @ Esox. You could borrow the chicken cannon from Myth Busters.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I set up the electronic thingamajig yesterday when there wasn't any birds on the property. They are here today! I'll let you know how the cannon works. Maybe we can make a new internet game like the penguin batting ;) It is kinka fun aiming the bottle rockets at them though.

·
Registered
244 Posts
You might look into the legal difference between "hunting" and "pest control"

Steve

·
Registered
36,004 Posts
See about getting someone with a falcon to patrol the air space around the building.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts