Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is there any value for these trees..I have approx. 150......30-75ft....Saginaw/Midland area.....

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Firewood. We have almost cut all of ours down. My parents burn wood, so that is what we use them for.

Sent from my iPhone using Ohub Campfire

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks//.///Yeah, that's what I figurerd...I was kinda looking for someone to remove them

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Theres been a group of amish loggers around here that have been taking them. Cut them all into boards on site and all you have left is a giant pile of sawdust and some cash in hand and your dead ash gone.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Id have to talk to one of the landowners that have had them out, or keep an eye out in the local paper because they sold the scrap slab wood to the outdoor boiler guys too.

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
The brush is good in the context of wildlife, deer included, FWIW.

I saw some article earlier today about a park in MI that was having all their dead ash removed. Something like 500 trees and they were going to receive ~$850. Not worth much IMO.

·
Banned
11,515 Posts
Theres been a group of amish loggers around here that have been taking them. Cut them all into boards on site and all you have left is a giant pile of sawdust and some cash in hand and your dead ash gone.
I always get a kick when I hear someone bought Amish Furniture. They think an old Amish guy built it in his wood heated shed with hand tools. Truth is most Amish furniture is built in factory situations by Amish employed by "The English". They get an hourly wage and go home after 8 hours just like we do. Unless you buy it direct from "Old Amos" chances are you bought a piece made by Amish working in a factory, making furniture to specs.

·
Banned
11,515 Posts

I saw some article earlier today about a park in MI that was having all their dead ash removed. Something like 500 trees and they were going to receive ~$850. Not worth much IMO.
That was Bay City State Park. State is getting ripped off seriously bad IMO.

·
Registered
7,158 Posts
I'm going to Kzoo for 3 days next week to cut ash and do some habitat projects. There are prob 100 trees were cutting.. Not sure what to do with the wood yet. Prob gonna burn a bunch out there and make brush piles everywhere through out the new habitat areas.

·
Registered
3,981 Posts

That was Bay City State Park. State is getting ripped off seriously bad IMO.
2508, 850 bucks certainly is not much but what makes you think that the state is getting ripped off, or is it just a gut reaction to what appears to be a lot of trees selling for an average of about $1.70 each?

Right now, for obvious reasons, ash is a glut on the market and if the trees are already dead it surely is a buyers market. I have not read the article nor have I ever visited Bay City SP but if it is anything like the SPs where I have seen removal of large numbers of diseased trees whoever is doing the cutting has to be very careful not to damage paved roads, site posts, water mains, electric lines, landscaping, and who knows what else. In a state park there is also a strong possibility that there are nails in any tree within the main campground area. Paying close attention to those things takes time and as the old saying goes "time is money." If a cutter has an accident concerning any "improvement" it will require his insurance to pay-up. Anybody who drives a car knows what happens to insurance rates after an accident.

I have a couple recent bids sitting right here for a large volume of hardwood where the the logger does not have to be concerned with any of the things mentioned above. The ash is very much alive and of exceptional size and quality but still all bids came in with that species receiving the lowest offer, the winning bid was only 15% of the price for equal grade hard maple. The bids were even lower than that received for aspen! FM

·
Premium Member
13,402 Posts
I too have heard of small operators ....supposedley 'Amish' or Mennonite....that are buying standing dead ash, then coming into the woodlot with a portable sawmill. Reportedley selling their production into the railroad-tie market.

Have also been told that there is a narrow window for these trees to be marketable on the stump. The wood gets 'punky' within a couple of years after dying and then is good only to woodpeckers before it tips over.

That last sounds credible based upon my own experience on my ground with my trees. An ash tree won't stay vertical for long once the EAB killed it. 3 or 4 years ....maybe less depending upon anchorage. I contrast that to many walnut and maple that I have killed as standing trees. They remain on the stump largely intact for a minimum of 5 years. I've got unmarketable walnuts killed 10yrs ago that remain.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I also have a LARGE AMOUNT of standing dead Ash. Put word out to a number of friends that burn wood and told them I want it gone. And to cut it like a logger and leave tops whole. They have been making progress getting them out. Have a beautiful mess on my hands. Look forward to see what regeneration happens in area. Surprised at the amount of shoots I am getting from the dead trees. Must still be some life in root system.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts