Votes: 33 39.3%
  • Sitting

Votes: 51 60.7%
1 - 20 of 107 Posts

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just watched the most recent Jeff Sturgis video. Love his videos and strategies. But that doesn't mean I 100% agree with him on everything.
Several times recently, he has mentioned how much less likely a hunter is to spook deer if always sitting while in a treestand. I have contended for many years just the opposite. I feel I get busted way less if I am standing tight to the tree. I stand 80% or more, of the time on stand. Way easier for me to look in all directions with little movement.
I realize there are a ton of factors that go into this, but what I'm really after is, do you feel better hidden standing or sitting.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I prefer to sit. I’m on my feet all day at work, so it’s nice to be on my butt while hunting.I’m more still sitting also. I’ve had this same conversation with hunters thru the years and everyone is different. I don’t get busted that much when I’m still and quiet sitting. I’ll stand if I have to to make a shot. Knowing when to move is key

10,812 Posts
The key is to be able to shoot sitting. If you have to stand up to shoot, then that would be a no-no. On my standard tree stands, I usually have no clear shots where I would have to stand up to shoot, which would be to my right or especially behind me. These are all finely tuned stands though where deer just can't get in those locations and also where my scent will be. Now on my public land spots, I hunt from a sling, so I can pivot around 360 degrees, but even in those spots, they are usually picked because deer will travel down wind of me due to terrain or other features. I also hunt very high most of the time, where practicable. I have killed way more deer sitting than standing from tree stands.

·
Registered
20,209 Posts
May be personal preference.
I no longer hunt from treestands but made my kills sitting.
No way I was going to risk detection by standing to get ready for a deer in range.
And standing for hours on a birdfeeder type stand did not appeal.

Don't recall ever getting busted standing to stretch , but who knows.

Hunters background in relation to deer approaching might matter more than if standing or sitting.

·
Registered
6,115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I sit because i just move and fidget less when i'm sitting.
I am just the opposite. If I am standing, mainly just doing the slow pan with my eyes and head. When sitting, I find myself straining to see back over my shoulders. I do have some stands, where it is crucial to see behind me.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
All of my tree stands are altered as soon as get them home, my seats are 29" to 30" high from the platform versus 14" to 18" like most of them are. Even my ladder stand has an 11" riser attached. While sitting, my rear end only touches the edge of the seat. It only takes me about 6" to go from sitting to standing mode by locking my Knees to a standing position. I have been winded in the past, but never busted for moving.

·
Registered
11,900 Posts
I sit the vast majority of the time and I generally shoot while sitting unless I need to turn around to shoot. I know that I move far....far less while sitting than when I am standing so that is my primary reasoning.

At the end of the day, I will generally stand for the last 10-15 minutes of shooting light but other than that I will be sitting.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I sit the vast majority of the time and I generally shoot while sitting unless I need to turn around to shoot. I know that I move far....far less while sitting than when I am standing so that is my primary reasoning.

At the end of the day, I will generally stand for the last 10-15 minutes of shooting light but other than that I will be sitting.
Agree last 10 to15 mins have to stand I feel like they are sneaking in on me

·
Premium Member
7,917 Posts
Most of my hunting is from a ladderstand or a climber and I greatly prefer the climber and don't recall knowingly being busted while using it.
During my vertical bow days I seldom sat, now that my hunting revolves around the crossbow I seldom stand.
My accuracy is probably better using a rest if circumstances allow but have no fear of shooting off hand if it is a necessity, no matter the weapon.
I have always felt more concealed in a standing position, I guess that is my final answer.

·
Premium Member
10,955 Posts
Just watched the most recent Jeff Sturgis video. Love his videos and strategies. But that doesn't mean I 100% agree with him on everything.
Several times recently, he has mentioned how much less likely a hunter is to spook deer if always sitting while in a treestand. I have contended for many years just the opposite. I feel I get busted way less if I am standing tight to the tree. I stand 80% or more, of the time on stand. Way easier for me to look in all directions with little movement.
I realize there are a ton of factors that go into this, but what I'm really after is, do you feel better hidden standing or sitting.
I think standing has definite advantages provided you are standing still and either close to the truck of a large tree or have adequate cover behind you to hide your profile. But I voted sitting for the reason below.

I sit because I just move and fidget less when I'm sitting.
The most important concern.

·
Registered
9,885 Posts
Standing is more concealing and hunting with a compound it allows me almost 360 degree of shooting area. Even after that said, I’ll still sit 50% of the time. There’s no way I could stand 3,4,5 hrs and sometimes longer than that. Comfort is the key for me being still. Still equals seeing more deer. I do practice shooting sitting down quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Michigan Sportsman

1 - 20 of 107 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.