Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am hunting a new spot on my property. The question is, I am hunting between a bedding area and a corn field. There is not much tree cover on the fence line between these two fields, so I have a pop-up blind set up in the thick cover of the fence line. Would you suggest setting up a tree stand even though there is not that many trees besides the row of tree's separating the two fields? Thanks!

·
Registered
441 Posts
Is the bedding area to the WSW of your blind? From the photo it appears the corn field is the ENE of your stand, is that correct? Most importantly, which way will you be approaching this stand and do you intend to hunt it in the morning or evening? Also, are there any fences/choke points in the treeline that seperate the fields?

·
Registered
661 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct the bedding area is WSW. The corn field is ENE of the blind. The tree line in which my ground blind is set up in has a fence that runs the whole length of the field from N to S . I am hunting this spot in the mornings and nights. I will be approaching this stand from the north end of the property. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
one thing to look at is even though there arent very many trees, what do they look like from the ground? as in will you have enough cover in them if you were to put up a tree stand? if not then dont risk it and keep hidden. . if there is enough cover then you could set a tree stand up to where you have access to where they may be entering the field. . do the deer move through in one spot or are there several places that they move from one area to the other? are you just bow hunting this spot or gun hunting as well? like i said though i wouldnt throw a treestand up unless you have a spot you can get into as discretely as possible and be fore sure you have enough cover so the deer wont bust you from the ground. .

·
Registered
441 Posts
As Outdoor Mike said - a lot of it is dependant on the types of trees and whether there is going to be a place to hang a stand that will break up your outline. If there is a place I would definitely hang a stand as high as I could get it - especially if you plan on hunting it morning and nights - just to get your scent as high as possible. The prevailing winds will be WNW which means that in the morning, as you walk from N to S to get to the blind, your scent will be pushed into the cornfield and the noses of any deer that will shortly be making their way back to the bedding area. IMO this will be a much better evening stand because of the above. Now, I would also guess from the photo that the major crossing area would be to the E of the light brown spots on the W side of the fence S of your blind?If thats the case it looks like you have a pretty good spot picked as long as you are careful of the wind and don't burn it out.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I agree with hoythunter. I think your best bet is to hunt the property in the evening. With the wnw wind you will most likely get busted in the morning going to your stand

The only time I would hunt the morning is with a ene wind or sw The sw wind might still be risky but I think it will blow more towards the middle of the corn on your walk in and ounce your at your spot,

·
Banned
12,721 Posts
Hoyt and Mike make alot of good points. I will add that this could be a good morning spot if the deer are using the standing corn as a bedding area(of course this will not be a factor once the corn is cut) But getting there in the morning will still be tough because of the lack of cover for your entry to the stand. You could also maybe arrive around 9am during the rut stages and hunt the rest of the day. If the corn is being used as a bedding area you might catch a buck scent checking the area during a mid day hunt by using the tree line and the standing corn as a travel route with good cover. The possibility of a buck making scrapes between the tree line and the corn field would also add to this being a good spot to hunt midday.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts