Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

41 - 60 of 176 Posts

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Good. For Stafford. I didn't want to see Scherzer or Verlander go from the Tigers but they were better off for their own success.
IDK the tigers had success with that pitching staff the hitting went cold in the playoffs and the WS. Back in those days I felt Cabrera and Victor Martinez should have been traded. But the team gutted the pitching staff and they have been a basement dwellers since.

I'm glad for Stafford I hope he lands on a good team, the lions are just to far away with or without Stafford, If he does land on a good team I just hope if they receive draft picks that they get them a few years out without any clauses.

·
Premium Member
9,172 Posts
He wasn’t going to win anything here and the lions are years away from winning so better to get something for him. Let the new coach do his own thing and it ll be the SOL s anyhow.

·
Premium Member
4,724 Posts
I think Stafford is the best thing that’s happened to the lions in decades. But I don’t see any choice but to release him. I don’t think they get much in trade. They should take whatever then can get.

It’s safe to assume the lions are planning on 2-3 more years as bottom dwellers. Which would be the rest of Stafford’s prime. No sense in having him here if they aren’t even going to try.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Dang. Guess I get to take a few years off of wasting my Sundays. Literally the only great QB the franchise had ever had. Yeah, I'm sure they'll magically "replace" him. There's a reason he makes so much money - if you want an equivalent QB, that's what he'll cost. Unforgivable.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
Ummm..the reason that he makes so much money is because he had them over a barrel when his contract came due. They had no choice.

I am thankful that he is moving on. In my opinion, he lacked heart.
Probably 4-5 years back there was a story that came out that he did not do the 'extras' to make himself a GREAT.

The handwriting should have been on the wall when their house went up for sale.

Don't get me wrong, he seems like a great person, which is the ultimate measure, but I believe that they should have cut their ties with him when his last contract came due.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Why now? Just adds to already full list of positions we need to fill with better players. I think it was a wrong move.
If a guy asks to be traded, you would have to wonder how much effort he would have put in staying.

Do you suppose that this was Matt's decision or his outspoken wife? ;)

I hope that whoever they get as a QB leads them to at least a playoff win next season. (Dreaming, I know, but just the same......)

·
Registered
5,367 Posts
Barry Sanders, Calvin Johnson...and now Stafford. Kinda of an obvious pattern with the Lion's marquee players wanting out. I hope he ends up in New England.

·
Registered
6,407 Posts
Do you suppose that this was Matt's decision or his outspoken wife? ;)
I read something that leads me to think his wife is behind this as she was not happy in Michigan because of a certain person a lot of people are unhappy with. Probably a bunch of reasons (team management, Fords?) but when the wife is unhappy, the whole house is unhappy and its a miserable place to be.

·
Registered
13,460 Posts
Dang. Guess I get to take a few years off of wasting my Sundays. Literally the only great QB the franchise had ever had. Yeah, I'm sure they'll magically "replace" him. There's a reason he makes so much money - if you want an equivalent QB, that's what he'll cost. Unforgivable.

Sent from my SM-G988U using Michigan Sportsman mobile app
You've obviously never heard of Scott Mitchell before. Or Andre Ware. :evilsmile

The Lions are.........a constant source of amusement. They are proof that a professional sports team does not have to win many games, or be good, to have devoted fans.

·
Registered
4,744 Posts
This is kinda like breaking up with a girlfriend. You know its the right thing to do. You'll both be better apart. Then you're walking down the driveway after the breakup thinking 'Damn, she was HOT, I ain't never gonna do better than that".

·
Registered
12,696 Posts
I pay no attention to sports but will watch em just because, hang with buds, family etc .

Anyways my bros a sports freak, radio, tv, he lives breathes sports. He informed me Stafford was getting something like 30+ million $ I asked him how much Brady made. He said Brady took pay cuts yearly to make HIS TEAM better.... More $ for better players on ALL ends of the team.

Explained it to me, easy logic...lets see if the Lions do anything about it ! I'll be watching football today at in laws, but I'll mostly be shooting squirrels in the back yard with a pellet gun :)

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
This is kinda like breaking up with a girlfriend. You know its the right thing to do. You'll both be better apart. Then you're walking down the driveway after the breakup thinking 'Damn, she was HOT, I ain't never gonna do better than that".
If any of my old girlfriends had his money, I would have kept them around.

·
Super Moderator
37,498 Posts
Best for both parties. They should just pick up a cheap QB to get them by for now,
How is a cheap QB going to "get them by for now"? Even an expensive one, with some of the best offensive tools ever got them nowhere.....

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
How is a cheap QB going to "get them by for now"? Even an expensive one, with some of the best offensive tools ever got them nowhere.....
The loins just finished 5-11. 3-12 the year before. 6-10 the year prior.
I’m guessing Tyrod Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Dalton any of them could get you that kind of record.

·
Registered
5,293 Posts
The loins just finished 5-11. 3-12 the year before. 6-10 the year prior.
I’m guessing Tyrod Taylor, Fitzpatrick, Dalton any of them could get you that kind of record.
You just saved me a lot of typing Mel. Thank you. PS.............some on here are implying that without Stafford the Lion's will never win another game.

·
Premium Member
14,856 Posts
You just saved me a lot of typing Mel. Thank you. PS.............some on here are implying that without Stafford the Lion's will never win another game.
the loins had a freakin hard time winning with him!!!

41 - 60 of 176 Posts