Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year trapping and not luck so far at getting anything but i was wondering what everyone uses to stabilize their traps in the snow. I use 1.5, 1.75 and 2 inch coil spring foot hold traps and I am having a tuff time getting them to sit flat in the snow and not move. I heard of using wood rods but the snow is preaty deep and I am not sure if that will work.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,133 Posts
Brush/sweep the snow right down to the ground at your set area,dig your trap bed and cover with whatever freeze proofing method you use.You can blend a little snow back over the area if you like,mix it up,blend some sets and leave some bare dirt.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Trapping in snow is tuff, but it can be done. Part of the problem is snow is so unstable, almost like sand. What I do is make a trail with snowshoes or a snowmobile to pack the snow so there is a base. Then the next day come back chop out a spot for your trap. I put a piece of wax paper under the trap and another for a cover. Bed the trap, packing snow around. It might not seem so solid, but it will firm up. Sift a light layer of snow over the top. I like to use earth anchors for staking, but that only works if you have a lot of snow and the ground is not frozen under the snow. Hang in there, if nothing else winter and snow can teach a lot about the critters your after.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts