Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill be on the big manistee the 3rd. week of april with a boat. i will trade a few days fishing with me on the manistee river for steelhead for a few days fishing with you when the atlantic salmon are running on the st. marys river. is this in october that they are running in good numbers?

·
Registered
43 Posts
The atlantic salmon make a spawning run in late september to october, although they do not bite well while they are spawning. People catch a few of them trolling in the river, and some are caught in the rapids along with king salmon, coho's and some pink salmon. A canadian license is needed to fish the rapids. The atlantics stack up behind the power plant in the first 2-3 turbines where we realease the young fish after we raise them.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
Those are the good months to catch active atlantics in the rapids and behind the powerhouse, they come up in the summer to feed before spawning. I fish for them in the rapids in the summer and early fall. Just like Quack Head said they spawn in late fall and don't hit much once spawning starts and when they do hit that time of year they don't fight much. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
You want to be there in July when the May Flies are hatching!!

Captain Jay

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very true, there are a number of whitefish being caught behind the power plant during the same months, drifting flies from under the turbines out past the boat, they were catching good numbers and good sized whitefish this year about the same time as the atlantics were showing up.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Id offer a turkey hunt swap but with all the ice in the snow there will be few turkeys left. Rained 5 hrs this am and that is 3 layers this month-must be pretty solid now.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
What method do you want to use to fish for them, boat, fly fish, spin fish? I fish for them on the rapids with spin gear they are fun. I just caught one the other day I posted the pic on here not sure if you seen it or not.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
for a method id like to catch an atlantic with my fly rod. an hopin for a good sized one for a wall mount. still no takers for trading a trip yet? i do have the first 2 weeks of july off also. an not sure how my boat would do on the st. marys, its a deep vee 14' with a 15 h/p motor. has lights an a good anchor system.

·
Registered
4,461 Posts
steelslam said:
for a method id like to catch an atlantic with my fly rod. an hopin for a good sized one for a wall mount. still no takers for trading a trip yet? i do have the first 2 weeks of july off also. an not sure how my boat would do on the st. marys, its a deep vee 14' with a 15 h/p motor. has lights an a good anchor system.
You could probably do fine with that.I've seen smaller;) If you end up trying it on your own get some mayflys..nymphs,emergers and fully developed.If you're fishing the US side you'll want a sink tip or C&D.
Hypox could give you some pointers.Look up past threads about the Soo as well.We've talked about this probably the most of anything in this forum

1 - 11 of 11 Posts