Michigan-Sportsman.com banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys! I used to go up into the great white north around labor day to fish a river for pinks and it was always a blast, but haven't fished much on the St. Mary's River. My classes don't start until the last week of septmeber so my question would be what is the prime time for the different salmon runs on this river. I would love to try and toss some flies to atlantics, but I am not opposed to the pacifics either. My main focus would be the rapids stretch on the Canadian side of the river. Thanks for the info and also feel free to pm me if you prefer.

·
Registered
7,407 Posts
The river gives up big pike, walleye, steelhead, perch, whitefish, lake trout, and splake if you know where to go in the winter. Don't limit yourself to the salmon.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Trust me I wish I was able to get up to the river more often. I am currently in school in the SWLP near Grand Rapids, so the salmon run in later summer/early fall is at the time where I get a break from classes and hopefully get time off of work as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Depending on water temps you can find Atlantics, Chinooks, Pinks, and Steelhead in the rapids late summer/early fall. The only problem is there has been limited fishing areas in the rapids the past 2 years. Water levels have been high and they have been opening the gates up to let the water out of Superior. Most of the fishable waters have been too dangerous to fish. If you are going to purchase your Canadian license there are other areas to try than just the rapids. Pm me if you need more info on the rapids or more places to fish.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
If you've never fished them, stay out of the rapids right now. My friend and his dad have been going for 15 years and they won't even fish them right now. Lots of fish can be caught shore fishing the U.S. side.

·
Premium Member
9,650 Posts
Pinks were in really good 2014 limits easily every day might be off 2015 odd years sometimes don't produce .Seen quite a few atlantics caught in 2014 going to try my luck next year on them .Go to the LSSU fish cam to see whats in before you head up .

·
Registered
673 Posts
Unfortunately this will probably be an off year for pinks, but there will be a few around. Chinook in the river seemed to be way down, but I saw more coho caught then I ever have before. The Atlantics should also be good again this year.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Unfortunately this will probably be an off year for pinks, but there will be a few around. Chinook in the river seemed to be way down, but I saw more coho caught then I ever have before. The Atlantics should also be good again this year.
According to my buddy who works at the ARL fish lab this is supposed to be a phenomenal year for the atlantics, better than last year!!! I have no hope for the kings, I don't even fish them in the river anymore I catch mine out in detour in the spring and early summer then head to the straits in the summer. Only saw 1 coho caught last year, that was by my buddy while we were fishing rainbows in the spring.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts