Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know what works well in late June at the Sault? Heading up for the first time. I was gonna bring the 8wt (floating line), the center pin, and the spinning gear.

I'd prefer to float nymphs on the pin. Thinking caddis emergers but I dont know what colors or sizes.

TIA

·
Registered
150 Posts
Went to the Fly Fishing Expo in March to find out similar things as there were a couple guides either running a booth or doing a seminar talking about Atlantics in the Soo. One didn't say much at all, the other was somewhat of a jerk, I thought. At the seminar, I asked some general questions like "What are some large areas to look at - not specific spots?" and "Can you explain how you typically set up your line/leader/fly for the current up there?", etc. He basically told me to hire him for a day and he'd show me all that. I told him later that I drove 4 hrs to come to the seminar and thought there would be useful, if not some, detailed information.

What I did get is that they use some pretty standard nymphs, heavily weighted on long leaders with large indicators when anchored to the powerhouse - it's a community hole - no secret there! He did say they will find Atlantics from the locks to the ferry - watching the terns and gulls.

I'm thinking that smelt imitating streamers would be good - other baitfish too. Caddis and stone nymphs typical for steelhead my be good at times. Just not many who have done that up there who I know anyway. I am planning on at least one weekend toward the end of June or first part of July to give it a go.

Bob

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Canadian side is the only way that you can wade. Other than that you have to fish from a boat pretty much.

I'm not keen on hiring a guide either. I figure I may as well give it a try once a year. If I catch one then yay. If not then oh well. I can't imagine it's any different than fishing for steelhead. Just need to get to know some new water.

There's a guide that I like who guides the American side from a boat but he doesn't let you keep fish. I'd like to keep one or two since they stock it so heavily. I'm just not about all this C&R only stuff. I like to keep about 10% of what I catch. Trout, salmon, and steelhead just happen to fall in the 10% along with walleye, perch, sunfish, and crappies!

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
If the Atlantics are in, and they usually are at that time(amount varies) try mayfly nymphs, especially if the whitefish are in :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Caddis imitations in blaze orange, burnt orange, red, maroon, tan, black. Very simple flys, thread on a hook. Split shot, swivel, and 4 lb. Chuck it up in the hole, let it hang, give it a little action. Most Atl's are caught while fishing whitefish. Streamers, white zonkers, brown/tan zonkers, white maribous, think smelt, sculpin, and sticklebacks. I find silver sticklebacks in most ATL's. Move them fast or troll them shallow. They seem to want to eat what they can't catch, watch for birds. Small cranks work well also.
Remember 1 thing,
SHALLOW

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hey sooper yooper, do you have any pics on those last wire flies you mentioned?

I've been tying some Lafontaine caddis emergers with the bubble.

What do you recommend to catch whitefish? Also, do you know and understand the Canadian limits?

Thanks

·
Registered
11 Posts
size 12 hook, curved caddis, 1/8 gold bead, red copper wire.
Canada is complicated, need to call in to arrive and fish by boat. Fish rules are on web site, zone 14 I think.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well we got SKUNKED! We saw one fish swimming and that was it. It was a bluebird sky.

Those rapids are not to be taken lightly. There were several of my studs that ripped right out of my boots. No wading staff you may as well forget it. The rocks are mostly round and very slippery. Caution must be taken.

I may try it again when they're in there a little thicker.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts