Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A buddy and myself are off the for the MLK day and were thinking about heading for a trip to St.Lukes...First off is it worth it??? How is the ice???

From what I read and heard it seems soo much better then the Ginos, is that true... Thanks for any help/ideas/GPS numbers(general ones:evil:)....

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
St lukes has been going very strong anywhere from 3 miles out to 7 miles out just look for the large groups and then just set up away from them. Ice is good seen a car and truck out there last Sunday. Good luck.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
Going to try my luck on Thursday morning is anyone is out i'll be in a blue Rover 2.0 come say Hi. Will post when I get back

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Have everything in order. Was checked twice on monday by COs.Good ice , seen a couple of trucks out there, but did find some 6 in ice in 13 ft of water. Caught about twenty five perch, only eight keepers 9-12 inches.Was fishing where the depth contours were out to sixteen ft, but I think the weeds were the ticket. I fished away from the crowds. Very lite bite.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Have everything in order. Was checked twice on monday by COs.Good ice , seen a couple of trucks out there, but did find some 6 in ice in 13 ft of water. Caught about twenty five perch, only eight keepers 9-12 inches.Was fishing where the depth contours were out to sixteen ft, but I think the weeds were the ticket. I fished away from the crowds. Very lite bite.
What exactly did they check you for? I've only been asked to show them my fishing license in all the years I've been going over there. Last weekend saw all kinds of people doing things that r supposedly illegal over there, ie. Riding double, towing with ropes having a couple pops on the ice. Never saw anyone being checked, but maybe they weren't out there over the weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
10 Posts
With all the crowds they will be there its just a matter of when. I was their last year and the CO was waiting right before the ramp writing tickets for ATV violations (helmets, no tow bar, etc.) They follow the crowds just like we follow the perch.:lol:

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Checked My license, and my fish. One officer checked me around 2:00p . Then around 4:00 he had a partner. I am sure they checked every person on the lake , because he asked if I had moved adn how many more fish I had. After checking me the second time I think they were satisfied they hit the whole bay, because they headed in. He said a guy out in 19 ft of water did well. That had to be close tothe channel, I dont think a citation would be worth going out there, but who knows.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Checked My license, and my fish. One officer checked me around 2:00p . Then around 4:00 he had a partner. I am sure they checked every person on the lake , because he asked if I had moved adn how many more fish I had. After checking me the second time I think they were satisfied they hit the whole bay, because they headed in. He said a guy out in 19 ft of water did well. That had to be close tothe channel, I dont think a citation would be worth going out there, but who knows.
Thanks for info that's what figured. Never been checked for insurance on quad and I don't have it and won't get it as it is void as soon as you hit the ice. Plus mine is older and paid for so... man I would like to get way out to that deep water as well, but not a journey to make solo. Weather buoy area would be ideal. Gotta imagine ice is fine as this is one if the best starts I can remember. Thx again and good luck over there guys.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
A buddy and myself are off the for the MLK day and were thinking about heading for a trip to St.Lukes...First off is it worth it??? How is the ice???

From what I read and heard it seems soo much better then the Ginos, is that true... Thanks for any help/ideas/GPS numbers(general ones:evil:)....
I have never fished Geno's, but I love fishing out of St. Lukes. Weather it is worth it or not, that is for you to judge.

If you are a guy who gos out drills some holes and never moves, you may go over there and not catch anything and think it really sucks. If you are willing to work and move around, there are nice fish there.

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
Somebody's gotta ask, where's St. Lukes? I'm getting desparate skunked last 2 Sundays Bolles Harbor canal and Lake Erie Metropark marina.
Look at the other st lukes report, gave detailed directions on the last page. It's in Canada between stoney point and mitchells bay 60 miles from Windsor
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Banned
1,248 Posts
I think he meant it wouldn't be worth it for the cos to go all the way there just to check a few guys. I would love to get out that far as you would stand a real good chance of getting into some eyes too! Not to mention the solitude! We go 12 miles out on saginaw bay once its locked in all the time. Gonna take a good look at that this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
I think he meant it wouldn't be worth it for the cos to go all the way there just to check a few guys. I would love to get out that far as you would stand a real good chance of getting into some eyes too! Not to mention the solitude! We go 12 miles out on saginaw bay once its locked in all the time. Gonna take a good look at that this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device
Ah,, ok, gotcha now.

·
Premium Member
6,408 Posts
Never been checked for insurance on quad and I don't have it and won't get it as it is void as soon as you hit the ice. Plus mine is older and paid for so...
The insurance requirement is for liability, not the replacement value of your rig. They could not care less about whether your rig is insured in the event of damage/loss, but you are required to have liability coverage in the event you injure someone else.

·
Registered
20,129 Posts
The insurance requirement is for liability, not the replacement value of your rig. They could not care less about whether your rig is insured in the event of damage/loss, but you are required to have liability coverage in the event you injure someone else.
I always kinda wondered about the particulars on that. If that's the case, your homeowners insurance would cover that then, right? :confused:

I guess then you have to worry about carrying a copy of your HO's policy and if it's still valid in a foreign country.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Last week my buddy was in a group of 4 and kept 100. The week before we had a 3 man limit. In both trips hard work was done to get fish. In the past I have been checked by CO's at least ten times. One day twice by same CO. They have counted fish and asked for licenses. Positive encounters overall.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
27 Posts
I'd give it a couple of days if your headed over to this side of the pond.Coast Gaurd had to rescue 3 guys last night.Pressure crack opened up late in the day yesterday.They went out of the bay and headed toward Lukes bout 8 mile out.Have to wait for the wind to switch and push er back together.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Why would you get a citation for going out that deep??
What I meant was ,to search that far out in the lake to check on guys for their license and such , is taking chance on running into some dangerous ice areas. Especially one shanty. It would be differant if there was agroup out there, but if I were in there position I could overlook the last person the farthest out. He has to come in sometime if you want to check him that bad. Just my opinion if I were that CO.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts