Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering if there’s any good catfish spots on the st joe around the centreville, three rivers area. If you list any spots also give some tips on what you catch the fish on and the time of the year. I have heard it’s mostly channels in that part of the river, but has there been any flathead caught in that area?

·
Registered
21,649 Posts
Channel cats will take cutbait and dead minnows. And more. Fresh dead sixish inch shiners for the biggest river I've fished them in.

Small flatheads will take a variety of things.
Chicken liver is a favorite of mine. Years ago black sponge scented with anise worked.
Incidental catches on a variety of things.

But for big flatheads. Live bait.
And for biggest catfish , biggest live bait.
That takes a stout rig. And study of the habitat. And certain timing.
Sure someone caught a ten pounder on a frozen/thawed shrimp.
Bigger flathead are almost a different fish though.

If you condition crawlers , (well worth the effort , and I don't mean tossing them on ice) you could work around snags and holes ect. using current to get your offering into/under cover or security.
Medium game type stuff.
You get ahold of a big cat in daylight , are you going to be able to keep it from going where you don't want it to?
Compare that to catching on on a feeding flat near deep water and away from cover at night and you have better odds. Maybe!

If river has a run of riffle , hole, run ect. tail outs can be worth some time after dark.
And dams have tail outs too.
For flatheads from shore I've done alright warm summer nights in current slacks near shore.
Scent flow is where they start searching. Fresh blood being dunked left a stream of scent so I followed that same edge downstream. Into cats working that scent. Chumming theory pretty much.

I had some in a tank quite a while .
How they "hunt" and how they detect prey , and how they grab it all relate.
Of note , non (standard) baitfish added to tank panicked. They knew danger existed.
Meaning (there at least ) catfish have to work to get ahold of fish. Vs, fish just sticking around when one is near or detected.
That makes a tethered fish appealing to some.
And did my tank experience indicate catfish detect struggle through a similar to lateral line in other fish?
And what triggered a strike when catfish was close enough?
Might be part of why the bigger flatheads lean towards live prey more?

Reactions: Old Whaler

·
Premium Member
12,071 Posts
Find a slaughter house near you and take a couple of five gallon buckets and ask them for some blood and guts. They'll give it to you for free. Go dump it in a channel and let it sit for a day. It will draw cats from miles away and then when you go back, just use cut bait after dark and you'll have a blast.

Old South Georgia trick...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Waif makes good points here. I'd like to emphasize the "That takes a stout rig" part.
When hunting big flats, the Stout Rig mentioned is not just for the quarry, but also just to handle the baits. Take your favorite bass or pike rig, and attach about one and a half pounds of weight to the end of your line. See how well you can lob that across your back yard and you'll get an appreciation for what it's like to cast a large bait and the 4-8 ounces of lead it takes to hold it in place. 8'-10' solid fiberglass rods, 80-100 pound braid, salt water class swivels, and pyramid and triangle weights of 3-6 ounces (sometimes you need 3-4 of these), and 8/0 circle hooks are not overkill.

It's strictly a big fish bait, but I like using bullheads in the 8"-12" range. 6"-8" bluegills are good, too. They can drag a two ounce bank sinker around all night. You won't catch a lot of fish this way, but you won't have to put down your beer & cigar to take 10" channels off your hooks every 20 minutes, either.

Please let the big girls go. They don't taste good and the resource is fragile. It takes a long time to grow a 25# cat in Michigan.

Reactions: Waif
1 - 7 of 7 Posts