Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Fished this morning aboard the Polecat from Ludington out of St Joe today. They were down for the St Joe tourney and took our group out today before heading back up. 2 kings 6 and 12 lbs, a laker, 4 steelhead, and a dozen coho made for some pretty steady action with plenty of doubles and at least one triple. We fished south 5 miles from 170-200+ fow, and the waves were no where near the forecasted 5-7' we were anticipating. The farther south and out we got the cooler the water. Yeck Mag holographic lemon ice glow took fish 20-120 down on riggers, divers and core in the bright sunshine. Yeck gold double orange crush and killer bee whacked them on the surface lines on in line boards 50 back.

Thanks to Captain Doug Strzynski for showing us a great time. Doug runs one of the cleanest boats I've ever seen, a 31' Tiara, and is the owner of Yeck Lures. Doug really knows his spoons and shared a ton of tips and history of his company. I must admit I was impressed with the performance of his product, and learned of a few more must haves for my already overcrowded tackle boxes.:lol:

·
Premium Member
3,178 Posts
We were at the gas dock when you guys came in. We had half Kings though as we trolled out to deep from shallow. The kings seem to be inside the coho's. Great fishing though. The Kings started hitting at about 150' when we got to about 190' the Cohos took off. No steelhead for us though or Trout.

·
Registered
6,388 Posts
Doug is a GREAT fisherman!! Nobody spends more time on the water then that guy!! Its good to see the fishing is back to what it should be after a tough start this spring.

Scott

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We were the only boat without a film crew onboard, but let me tell you we had a great time and Doug and Ged definately put us on the fish. I mainly just wanted to share a report for anyone fishing in St Joe, but since you asked...

I believe Bob Gwidz will be doing an article on our trip with Doug for Booth Newspapers, Midwest Out of Doors will be airing the trip aboard Best Chance Too in two weeks, and Mike Avery plans to run their trip aboard the Seahawk on his Outdoor Magazine TV show. I'm sure other publications may pick up this story too, I was truly grateful to be a part of it all, and learned a bunch from every one of these fine folks.

·
Registered
67 Posts
It is great to hear that there are still fish in the lake. I went out the weekend before last and did not even mark any fish. I tried to go out Satuday AM but my engine died and I had to idel speed in. Felt like a moroan. My uncle gave me my boat and I fixed everythign but did not replace this little $3.44 part called a fule filter. Even my wife knew you had to do that. Neeless to say I can't wait to get back out I am problay heading out Thursday after work and Saturday early. Good luck everyone.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I am going out tonight after work out of St. Joe. Anyone know what the weather change yesteday will do to the fishing? Or has anyone been out yesterday or today?

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
chap18700 said:
I am going out tonight after work out of St. Joe. Anyone know what the weather change yesteday will do to the fishing? Or has anyone been out yesterday or today?
Post how you do, I want to get out on Friday afterwork.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Me and my friend Greg went out after work got to the pier heads and debated about going out so we tried the 3rd wave almost put the bow under water and decided to turn around. Glad the small craft advisory was over and the waves were at least 7'+. Hope today is calmer looks pretty good. I did troll back in through the river caught a big sheephead on watermellon. Yuck!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I had to laugh at the sheepshead, those make good fertilizer. I am going out after work today.

chap18700 said:
Me and my friend Greg went out after work got to the pier heads and debated about going out so we tried the 3rd wave almost put the bow under water and decided to turn around. Glad the small craft advisory was over and the waves were at least 7'+. Hope today is calmer looks pretty good. I did troll back in through the river caught a big sheephead on watermellon. Yuck!

·
Super Moderator
10,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
1 - 13 of 13 Posts