Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Great time today guys, thanks for the fun event. Also thanks to Ken for driving and letting me tag along on his boat.

We ended up 1/3, with 1 small coho. At least we didnt get skunked, right Caz? Sorry, just kidding.

Here are a copule of my nicer pics.

just after sunrise

our one fish

spanky's steelhead (right?)

Guys, lets hear and see some more!!!

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
nice pics Karl, and yep, that was my lil hen!;) Boy Those waves are humungous!:p
Glad we still had a great turnout, and I am also glad to have "one more river trip" this spring.I know we had caught more fish than any other two boats combined, unforunately, the majority of them had whiskers, and alot of others had "rubber noses"!

Had a good time with pal, Adam, and as always with Don P.
I noticed the rain held off until I left...:D

My hats off to the organizers of the event and to the folks who hosted us all at their place. Good thing I didn't know about that party store on the corner before I left!;)

·
Registered
239 Posts
A big thank you goes out to the guys that took the time to put on the event today. The fishing was on the slow side but the fish boil was excellent. I has a real good time and hope to make it out of St. Joe again real soon. It was cool to meet some more members of the site. Thanks beave for bringing tackle and fishing the event with me.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Yes it was a pretty good day on the big lake, even though Huntingfool and I didn't catch any fish. The boat ran great and is ready for the big King's when they show up. Thanks for the good food that we had after the weigh in. The fish boil was realy good and the slopy joe's. Well here is some of the pictures I had taken while I was fishing and at the weigh in.

Thanks St. Joe League for the invite.............West Michigan League.

Team Rat City Hooker Fishing Team

Rat Man, Auditor, and my bro Sixshooter.

This piture I thought was pretty funny, it looks really ruff but it wasn't.............SS MINOW out at sea

Team Cafishhoge and his buddy Trout Tracker

2nd Place Team......Good Job Team

At the weigh in:

Here are the Bad Boys from the West Michigan Fishing League and it looks like Huntingfool was telling Sixshooter Darn it I should of gone with you . Caznik dont know how to catch brown's at all..........lol

More at the weigh in:

Nice fish Trout Tracker

Wow this is what worried me there. I didn't catch any fish and I thought I was going to have to clean fish, so I kept pretty quiet.

Thanks Adjusted 3 and Steven Arend for the great time and food..

Caznik

·
Registered
291 Posts
Looks like everyone had a great time. I'm new at lake fishing and only have an 18 footer -- too small on some days. I'll have to try it thought. The pictures show a bunch of great guys having a great day -- and that's what its all about !!

·
Premium Member
1,984 Posts
Wow Caz! That pic of my boat looks like we are sinking and Levi is bailing out water.LOL Had a great day and hope to do it again.Thanks again to Steve and Mark.

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Thats the best part of the spring fishing....how close the fish are to the port or to the beaches. I think 80% of the fish were caught in less than 20 FOW.I would also say that most of the boats who participated were 18 ft. or less.:)

·
Registered
2,898 Posts
Well another great time with some good folks. As Caz said we didn't catch anything but still had a great time. Thanks to Adjusted 3 and Steven Arend for setting it up and Caz for letting me ride along. Can't wait till the next one.
PS Anyone that goes out of St Joe make sure you stay at least 1000 yards from the power plant or you may get a visit from the Coast Gaurd.

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
Karl, thanks for crewing and for bringing along the one lure that caught fish. Mine sucked! Thanks to Mark & Steve for organizing the event and a special thanks to Mark for hosting us at the farm. The fish boil was excellent. It was good to see everyone and meet a few members I hadn't known before.

The weigh-in:

Caznik, Karl, HuntingFool, FishinFox, and Beave:

·
Premium Member
10,566 Posts
Awesome stories and pix guys. Looks like the lake was pretty fishable after all, and you made the best of it. Great job.

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
I must say the weather had us all a little worried. My boat was going to the pier heads and if the lake was unfishable, we were headed to the river..Needless to say, the lake was fishable from start to finish. a little bumpy but I have fished alot worse.

We were on of the ones that ended up at the Cook plant after working some warm water about 1/2 way down. I will say, I thought that the saftey zone was 500 yards and that the stakes would be out.. I was informed by the guys in orange that it is now a 1000 yards...no tickets, no problems, got my saftey check for the year and the paper to prove it..but it did take 45 mins out of our fishing time. (it just happend that one of the guys on the coast guard boat had fished with me several times a year ago).

Our team ended up with one brown. Did not even weigh a pound.

I heard of no problems on the lake all day.

we had a total of 10 boats in this. was a great time meeting new people and developing new friendships and fishing partners. That was the single most important purpose for putting this together.

The winner was fishdog with a great catch of 5 fish. Most everyone had caught fish....some were on the small side, one was missing a tail--seems like a dog and fish don't go together right Ben?

I had a great time with everyone and it appeared that everyone enjoyed the day.

the traveling trophy will stay in St. Joe for a while but will be up for grabs in Muskegon come August. I must say, that the difference between the two leagues was .6 points average per boat....that was a very close fish compitition.

Thanks everyone for the great day!! Darrin, I enjoyed your company on the boat...you are welcome on it anytime. dont forget, the next date for the St. Joe league is in 2 weeks, the 17 of April.

Mark

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
looks like you guys had a great time. sorry I missed ,sounds like the weather held on long enough for you guys to get your fishin in.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
That was AWSOME guys...

Thanks To Steve and his Wife for Dinner on Friday Night...

Thanks to Steve, and Mark for organizing everything you guys did a GREAT job.

THank you goes out to HeChris and SheKris for letting me crash on the couch Saturday Night and for a WONDERFUL breakfast...
And especially for offering up your farm for the festivities...

Thanks to RatCityHooker for asking me to fish out of his boat I had a really good time...

And we caught some darn Fish too...Too bad we couldn't weight that fourth coho we had in the box...Dag Blast it...

It was also GREAT to see the guys again and to meet a few new ones.

Too bad Timmy WUSSED out though...Tim if you would have fished you WOULD have been the difference in helping the West Win the traveling trophy...:)

I have some pics on my camera that I will upload a little bit later.

Right now I need to find something to eat...

-Jim

·
Banned
10,217 Posts
Six... you big wuss, I thought you were gonna stay in the tent hehehe!:D I wonder if that thing lasted the night.
I think Mark and Steve must have some holy connections. The wind was decent all day untill we got to the farm house, then went crazy, and then it never rained until I was on the road home. And then we all know what happened with the wind last night and today. I read on the bouy site there were 14 fters at 2 am this morning.:eek: I doubt if anyone got out today! Talk about a nice little 8-10 hr window of weather.

·
Registered
3,367 Posts
The tent was still in the back yard when I got up this morning...but some of the stakes appeared to be NOT in the ground anymore...haha...

Yeah the day turned out fantastic...The wind didn't really start howling until we were all eating and shootin the bull...

As promised here is a couple pics...I thought I had more but I guess i didn't.

Here is Adjusted3

Here is Caz....Hey Caz turn around you have a fish on....

·
Registered
1,827 Posts
What a great day!

Thanks to the southern boy's that were involved in putting it together for us. Man was it nice to go for a spring outing with questionable weather and end up fishing untill time to pull lines. Started out a little bumpy but fishable, then calmed a good deal untill we quit. As we headed back to the pier heads the wind and waves started to kick in again.

Back at the farm everyone was in good spirit and glad to fish the day out. The weigh in was close! As we waited in first place with a 5 fish limit (thanks Larry) for the last team, fishdog, to show, we watched the fishcleaning and boil starting. When they finaly got in they showed us a 5 fish limit also. Although no one got any DNA for the king! Well they beat us by a few points and took first and also big fish. Good job fellas!

The food was great and so was the beverage, thanks again for hosting such an outing!

Thank you Trout Tracker for going along and bringing your baits. They got us 2nd place!:cool:

Rick

·
Registered
2,678 Posts
Well...I guess it is time to chime in here.

Yeh, we pulled one out!

Actually it was a tough tough day of fishing for us all. The fish just were not coming easy after 2 days of strong wind had the lake really blown up. Anything less than 20 FOW was very murky.

We got a little luckier than the rest a had a slightly bigger cooler. Luck...all luck! You had 10 boats of very quality fisherman out there and I believe only 2 of us managed to turn in a 5 fish limit. Thats not common among this many quality guys.

I actually had a $5 bet with Brett(BDWAULK) in my own boat that we would not be in the top 1/3! I lost! He kinda got into me after for not having confidence in my own team! For Brett & Jason....I will never doubt you again...yeh right!

Anyway......could we have had any more gratious hosts? From Steve and Adjusted to Chris at the farm a big Thank You! You guys did a great job and we all owe you! I know we are all looking forward to the 17th and the rest of the year!

To the boys from the North....I told you a week ago that the South was gonna rise! Great job to everyone from both leagues and I look forward to seeing you all again soon!

Thanks for the great day!

Dave

·
Registered
6,526 Posts
Congradulation Fishdog and team the first win of the year is always the sweetest. The only other thing that comes close in bragging rights to being the first winner of the year is to the person or team that takes the bigest fish of the year. Makes no difference where you place the rest of the year because you can say I've been there and done that. Good luck to all that can fish these tournaments.

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
I'll have to agree w/ everyone so far...what a fun time with a great group of guys and couple of gals. Thanks again Mark and Steve for putting this together. Thanks Chris for the use of your place for the festivities, and thanks SheChris for the cookies and good conversation. Also a thanks to Marks wife and daughter for helping out w/ the food and most importantly picking up the beer!

Great meeting all of you guys, it's nice to put a face w/ the name after awhile.

Mark I really appreciate the offer to fish w/ you as I thouroughly enjoyed it...and I don't have to go to Cedar Point this year (that Lund can sure take a lickin'!) Wished we would have had a better landing percentage!

See all you northern (west) boys in August, and see you winners on the 17th.

BTW-Nice work FishDog and crew, congrats on a good win and hot pattern...glad you boys were on our side!

Darrin

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
What a fun time.

The lake was fishable the whole time. Although (1) of my crew was feeling ill for the first 2 1/2 hours and the other (1) never knew we had a Coho in the box for the first hour. (He thought we were B.S.ing everyone when we were telling them that we were 1-2.)

Kris (ZobZob) had a lot of first times on my boat that morning. First time he ever caught a Coho (our Second one for the day.)
First time he has ever be in a boat while it was out of the water. (We had her air born about 12 times. Sit down, Shut up and Hold On:eek: :D and it was the second seat mount that broke on my boat.:mad:

Back at weigh-in we had a great time. I'm glad we had the barn for everone to get out of the wind. Thanks for the help on the fish boil. At least just about everyone caught fish. (Caz.);)

Anytime you guys are back in town and would like another home cooked meal my wife already as the dinner menu planned out. She just need more then a 1 1/2 hour notice.:D

Thanks Jim for helping clean up in the morning. And thanks to all of you that stuck around after dinner to help get rid of the adult beverage and shut the B.S.:D

1 - 20 of 40 Posts