Michigan Sportsman Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at South Haven an when we were in the channel a man came on channel 68 saying that he was picking up a man in a 100ft of water from the boat that sank 2hrs earlyer an that there were 3 more in the water. Does anybody know if they were all found?
Thanks Jim

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
4 saved after boat capsizes off S. Haven

By H-P STAFF

Published: Wednesday, July 4, 2012 1:04 PM EDT
SOUTH HAVEN - A rescue boat crew from Coast Guard Station St. Joseph and a good Samaritan rescued three adults and a child Tuesday from Lake Michigan near South Haven after their boat capsized, the Coast Guard reported.

The child aboard the 17-foot recreational vessel was wearing a life jacket while the three adults were not, according to a news release from the district office in Cleveland. The Coast Guard would not release names or hometowns of the four.

Station St. Joseph received a radioed mayday call at about 1 p.m. from a boater who reported four people in the water.

Station St. Joseph launched its 25-foot response boat, and the Coast Guard Air Facility in Muskegon sent a rescue helicopter.

Boaters aboard two nearby vessels were each able to rescue one of the adults, while the remaining adult and the child were reportedly swept away by the current.

The air crew spotted the remaining adult and child and notified the Coast Guard boat crew of the location. The boat crew rescued the two and transported them to awaiting emergency medical workers at South Haven's municipal marina.

The good Samaritans aboard the civilian vessel also transported the people they rescued to the marina.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Did anyone hear what kind of boat it was ?. or did something malfunction ?
I was at SH yesterday and went out as far as 95 fow, there was 2' to 4' waves with a occasional 5' mixed in, but nothing that should have capsized a 17' boat.
just curious.

Kevin

·
Registered
69 Posts
It was a Lake Assault boat. It sunk in less than a minute. They had a copper wrapped in the prop. They were trying to get it unwrapped and took a wave over the transom. Some scary stuff there

Outdoor Hub mobile, the outdoor information engine

·
Registered
885 Posts
Dumb question, but maybe it's something for us to think about. On the 4th of July...one of the busiest days of the year on the lake and 4 people had to wait 2 hours for nearby boaters to find them?

A lesson learned that we can not beat mother nature and help is further away then one would think. I'm glad all are safe!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Did anyone hear what kind of boat it was ?. or did something malfunction ?
I was at SH yesterday and went out as far as 95 fow, there was 2' to 4' waves with a occasional 5' mixed in, but nothing that should have capsized a 17' boat.
just curious.

Kevin

:confused:

sorry, but a 4" wave, with 5' mixed in is nothing to mess with in a 17' boat...IMO

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Dumb question, but maybe it's something for us to think about. On the 4th of July...one of the busiest days of the year on the lake and 4 people had to wait 2 hours for nearby boaters to find them?

A lesson learned that we can not beat mother nature and help is further away then one would think. I'm glad all are safe!

I can see how it happened.
When my wife and i were out in 95 fow on the 4TH, there wasn't a boat any where close to us, it seemed like everyone was in 20 to 40 fow perch fishing. the only boat that ever came halfway close to us was a sail boat.

Kevin

·
Registered
754 Posts
Leaving in the link to Great Lakes Angler. For those that did not click on the link, Dave Mull is the editor of Great Lakes Angler, and it was his boat. This was not someone that was new to the lake. This was a guy accustom to small boat trolling.

I think his blog post is well done, but doesn't emphasize the way a careless casualness in attitude can turn a mess into a disaster in seconds.

·
Registered
547 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
It amazes me the boats that people take out on the big lake, last weekend at SH there were a couple of 12' row boats with 3 people going out to perch fish, and this morning the lake had 2' -3 footers early and then calmed down some, but a guy was going out in a Tracker pro 17, with 12" sides on it, i think some people just have a death wish.

Kevin

·
Registered
345 Posts
It amazes me the boats that people take out on the big lake, last weekend at SH there were a couple of 12' row boats with 3 people going out to perch fish, and this morning the lake had 2' -3 footers early and then calmed down some, but a guy was going out in a Tracker pro 17, with 12" sides on it, i think some people just have a death wish.

Kevin
Edmond Fitzgerald.....

It's not the boat, it's the captain and crew. Be prepared and don't make mistakes. Know the water and your boat and if for a second things don't feel right you shouldn't be there.

I grew up on the lakes, I have hunted diver ducks on superior, Huron, Michigan and lots of larger inland lakes. I have sat in whitefish bay in waves bigger than those that sank mr Mulls boat in a 12' layout boat. I am not saying this to boast, but rather to warn anybody foolish enough to think that the size of their boat alone makes them
Immune to troubles on the big lake.

·
Registered
2,028 Posts
After reading this I have been thinking of a taller transom. Mine is 16". Some boats have a 20". Mine is paid for, doesnt use much gas. I pick my days out there. Life vests are on before we leave the dock. I have a marine radio. Been out to 135' once. Never again, even on flat day. Fish will eventually move closer. Check weather before your trip. I will keep the air horn and flares within reach. bhw

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
I am a firm believer in Murphy's Law, I tournament Bass fished for over 25 year, and we ran a lot of big water, i have been caught in waves that were unreal, but always made it back. the bottom line is prepare for the worst, and hope for the best. a simple little thing like a bilge pump can save your BUTT, 1000 gph or better yet 2 of them. a lot of boats i see heading out on the lake don't have one at all. and that is just plain crazy. jmo

Kevin

1 - 17 of 17 Posts