Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
They really should stay open through the end of November, if not longer, as things usually don't freeze until sometime in December, if not later. Last year we were still fishing LSC the 3rd week in January. If they installed a bubbler in there, they could probably keep it open most years through the end of December. There's so much current in the river, that as long as the basin was open, getting out into the river or lower LSC wouldn't be an issue. Pulling the boat out of that steep incline below 32 degrees might not be too fun!

·
Registered
837 Posts
They really should stay open through the end of November, if not longer, as things usually don't freeze until sometime in December, if not later. Last year we were still fishing LSC the 3rd week in January. If they installed a bubbler in there, they could probably keep it open most years through the end of December. There's so much current in the river, that as long as the basin was open, getting out into the river or lower LSC wouldn't be an issue. Pulling the boat out of that steep incline below 32 degrees might not be too fun!
If they were to keep it open into December, I’d chip in on a webcam to watch the show!

·
Registered
4,984 Posts
If they were to keep it open into December, I’d chip in on a webcam to watch the show!
One day this past spring we came back to the launch to find some guys trying to launch a large "cabin cruiser" (I am guessing it was 25-26 feet long and heavy) with a beat up, early 2000's Ford Explorer, with 2-wheel drive and balding tires. They had somehow managed to park the back end of the boat on the dock itself, so they couldn't back in any further, yet they didn't have enough power or traction to pull it back out either. What a sh**-show that was. If they would have had some HD straps, I would have helped them yank it out, but they didn't.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They really should stay open through the end of November, if not longer, as things usually don't freeze until sometime in December, if not later.
Agreed!
From what I've researched the City of Detroit owns the ramps but they're operated by a management company .
Don't know why they cant keep them open until ice up or the first accumulating snowfall.
It's no longer a manned post ,so personnel can't be an issue.
It'd be interesting to examine the contract to find out if there are any specifics regarding the launches annual operational period.
A call to the City's Parks and Recreation Department maybe be all it takes to keep it open longer.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Here's a picture of the boat "parked" on the dock. Looking at the picture again, it was probably only 22-23 feet long, but still very heavy for an old Explorer to handle, especially on that ramp.

View attachment 794606
Pretty sure I remember helping that guy. I think they must’ve come back a different day and launched. I remember him saying his trailer was jacked up. The guy asked me what controls were what and had no idea how to operate them. After I told him, he backed out of the dock, put it in forward and proceeded to ram the sea wall on opposite side then slowly made his way out into the river.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts