Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys so I went up the St. Clair River trying to go fishing there, and what I didn't know is I couldn't really used my salmon pole or my walleye pole, really anything that can't cast a 1 pound sinker, I was pretty disappointed when I couldn't catch anything, because I couldn't get my line out even close to enough and how strong the river is.

So I'm gonna take another shot at this, but I really don't want to invest lots of money on another pole, with that being said, the poles I seen being used down there, I've also seen them at a lot of garage sales, anyways I would like to know what there called, what kind of fishing poles I would put in my search bar on Google, how thick are they? I obviously need a pole that can throw out a 1 pound sinker. And handle everything it takes out there, i'm still not going to use 40 pound test line, I'll use more like 20 with that kind of pole like that, lol for gods sake im using only 4 pound on my salmon pole and bring in 15 pound fish,

Anyways please anyone that can help, what are they called, what kind there can be, varieties, even height, thickness, I just need a 2 pole to get the job done, nothing special, just need to know what to look for bc I know nothing about these poles. I just need this as easy as I can, a link maybe to help me out. Thanks guys, i'll appreciate any feedback

·
Registered
156 Posts
Those pole holders are fairly cheap but nicer ones are available to hook to railing. Definitely want more than a 1 pound weight, closer to 2 pounds. Those rods used to be around 25 bucks. I always ran a penn 209 reel spooled with 30 pound trilene big game. Some use 50 pound test. Run a 3 way setup with spoon on bottom with body bait slider up higher. And definitely get some bells for when the fish hit or you nod off. Lol

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Those pole holders are fairly cheap but nicer ones are available to hook to railing. Definitely want more than a 1 pound weight, closer to 2 pounds. Those rods used to be around 25 bucks. I always ran a penn 209 reel spooled with 30 pound trilene big game. Some use 50 pound test. Run a 3 way setup with spoon on bottom with body bait slider up higher. And definitely get some bells for when the fish hit or you nod off. Lol
Oh dude that's great man, were can I get one like that used, I don't want to go all out on a new pole, bc I'm more into huron river, Oscoda fishing the rivers with a 11 foot salmon pole, I already invest a lot into them poles, but God this is awesome, you gave me what I needed to know, now I would like to know we're to get one like that used, lol like that lol you have one to sale to me lol.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Man
this is a lot of help here thanks a lot

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those pole holders are fairly cheap but nicer ones are available to hook to railing. Definitely want more than a 1 pound weight, closer to 2 pounds. Those rods used to be around 25 bucks. I always ran a penn 209 reel spooled with 30 pound trilene big game. Some use 50 pound test. Run a 3 way setup with spoon on bottom with body bait slider up higher. And definitely get some bells for when the fish hit or you nod off. Lol[/QUOT
Man

this is a lot of help here thanks a lot
Are these it

https://www.amazon.com/Tech-Gamefish-Conventional-Boat-Rod/dp/B0068G4SJO

https://www.amazon.com/Daiwa-Solid-Glass-BFBT60MRS-Spinning/dp/B004AS6C3C

·
Registered
156 Posts
Used im not sure. That gamefish link you have is almost right but a little long. Looks like a 7 foot rod. Your best bet is to go to Andersons Pro Bait in port huron or Anglers outfitters in st.clair. These bait shops will hook you up with the necessary equipment.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Handwriting Office supplies Writing implement Cylinder Font
Handwriting Office supplies Writing implement Cylinder Font
I haven't done this fishing really in 25 years but still have our old poles just in case. We were buying every penn reel we saw at a garage sale when we first got into this fishing. Perhaps mine are a bit different but all of ours are are called 'Lake St Clair musky downs' either an MD45 or MD50, being 45 or 50". Google that, see if it opens up your used market.

I hear ya on ideally running lighter line but I wouldn't go much below 30. You're winging a 2 pounder out there on a rod with the give of a broom handle. Getting the arc to toss it out is stress enough on the line, One little snag in a cast or hesitation releasing the line and that weight would pop and go sailing. Look how easy a 1/2 oz spoon can break 6 lb test with a flubbed cast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts