Michigan Sportsman Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dear SCFWI Friends and Supporters,
The committee members from St. Clair Flats Waterfowler’s Inc. have been working hard to support projects and causes related to the St. Clair Flats area.

We want to begin the report by thanking you for your previous years of support and would like to reassure you that we are using “our” dollars wisely in the cause of waterfowl management and conservation. A successful banquet last year gave us the opportunity to spend money on two major projects both of which were highlighted in local papers.

The first project dealt with “phragmites” research. The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Michigan DNR are jointly studying effective methods of treatment to eliminate or eradicate phragmites and other foreign invasive plants from our native marsh habitat. A spring workshop hosted by Congress Woman Candace Miller was attended by several committee members. At the conclusion of the workshop, St. Clair Flats Waterfowler representatives promised Congress Woman Miller with a $40,000 commitment to augment monies from a matching fund Federal grant. Congress Woman Miller complimented and thanked us for our generosity, environmental awareness and proactive approach to help solve a growing ecological problem.

The second project involved the purchase of a new four-wheel drive tractor for the Michigan DNR in the St. Clair Flats Area. Tractors and equipment for use at Harsen’s Island and in the St.John’s Marsh were old and tired. A matching fund grant with the State of Michigan became available and our St. Clair Flats committee members seized the opportunity to become purchasing partners with the state. Our $35,000 contribution for the purchase of a John Deere 7000 series tractor is money well spent when looking at the amount of yearly work done by the hardworking DNR staff led by Ernie Kafcas and John Schafer at both waterfowl locations. Committee funds will continue to be available, to our trusted DNR partners, who advise SCFWI, almost exclusively when a need or emergency occurs.

The St. Clair Flats Waterfowler’s Inc. will again be instrumental in its sponsorship of the greatly attended annual Harsen’s Island Youth Hunt. Shell boxes, duck calls, and duck ID books are all items given away to the young hunters and family members, in the past. Additionally our committee members put on their aprons to grill and feed the enthusiastic hunters, a nutritious lunch supplied in part by Dearborn Sausage Company and other generous vendors.

Our annual banquet will again be held at Zuccarro’s Country House Banquet Hall located at 46601 Gratiot Ave, Chesterfield, Michigan, 48051 on September 25, 2008 beginning at 5:30 PM. Chris Smith (http://www.chrissmithart.com/wildlifeart.html), will have created a memorable waterfowl print featuring a black lab in a hunting scene. Now is the time to purchase your dinner tickets. The tickets are again this year $100.00 per which includes a free dinner print/ $25.00 in free raffle tickets/ an awesome tenderloin dinner/ and a chance at a door prize (a high end gun of some sort). We give away over 60 guns every year and are anticipating the best selection ever. Purchasers of an entire table (10 tickets) will be given a $100.00 ticket package thanking you for your support. The “earlybird” purchase deadline is August 28. “Earlybirds” will be entered in a drawing to win a high quality camouflage 12 gauge shotgun. We are looking forward to seeing our old friends and making new acquaintances, at this year’s banquet. For more information contact me (Jeff DeLange aka- Bite_Me_Too) via private message or email- [email protected].

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Was that you guys that cleared the section on the west side of the dike road in the St. Johns Marsh?
I thought some developing b*****d was going to put a darn strip mall in.
Keep us posted, it will be wet again someday.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I believe that side of the marsh is wetlands and can never be developed

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not just the SCFWI, but several organizations in SE Michigan have supported the DNR efforts to control these invasive Phragmities. They (Harsens Island DNR) are doing chemical test in those areas to find out what is going to work.

Hopefully something will work soon b/c the phragmities have completely taken over the visible portions of St. Johns Marsh and the surrounding areas.

Help us support local conservation:help:

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Was that you guys that cleared the section on the west side of the dike road in the St. Johns Marsh?
I thought some developing b*****d was going to put a darn strip mall in.
Keep us posted, it will be wet again someday.
The area you are talking about is the newly donated area (by Waste Management to offset wetland destruction) and is all refuge. A member of Michigan Duck Hunters Association/ H.I.W.A. donated his time and equipment to mow that area this past winter. Because of the power lines they cannot spray with the helicopter and burn along there. With it mowed they can apply herbicide (Round-UP and BASF Habitat) with a tractor and boom sprayer.

Ken

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A member of Michigan Duck Hunters Association/ H.I.W.A. donated his time and equipment to mow that area this past winter. Because of the power lines they cannot spray with the helicopter and burn along there. With it mowed they can apply herbicide (Round-UP and BASF Habitat) with a tractor and boom sprayer.

Ken
Ken, that is awesome that the MDHA and the HIWA have donated their time and machinery to get this stuff cut along the west side of St. Johns Marsh. As you mentioned with the tractor and boom sprayer, hopefully we will be able to see the results of some of the matching funds that the SCFWI (and others) have applied in support of the federal grant in the fight against the invasive plant species- specifically Phragmities.

Kudos to ALL of the many SE Michigan waterfowl organizations that are doing their part to conserve, protect the State's natural resources;)

Jeff

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Thanks guys, I'm nosy and notice EVERYTHING, especially when changes happen to my local marshes.
Did you guys also herbicide the marsh itself, after the big burn?
It sure looks thinner.
Now all we need is some dynamite(like they used at Harsens) to blow 2-3 potholes in there, and we would have a viable area again.
BTW: I try to help with the cleanup in May every year.
Good work

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
What was learned with the MIDNR and Army Corp of Engineer study was that if you spray in late August early September with a glysophate/imazopyr (Round-up/BASF Habitat) combination it will kill phragmites through the root system. Spraying it other times of the year only kills what you can see. Once it dies off, a prescribed burn to remove trash and let sunlight in for native plants that have not had a chance at growing. They will follow-up spray as needed in a more controled manner, no helicopters.

As far as potholes and such.... the mentality at the state level it to let go back to a natural state. Well guess what? Humans have manipulated the area so much over the years what is natural?

Ken

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
They will follow-up spray as needed in a more controled manner, no helicopters.
This is exactly what the Federal Grant is going to support- the funding to do the spray as needed in specific areas not only in St. Johns Marsh, but other effected areas with-in the St. Clair Flats.

Thanks for the reports Ken.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is this the old waterfowl USA? That taken over the St.Johns marsh?
What are full tables going for?
We like to consider ourselves a NEW organization called the St. Clair Flats Waterfowler's Inc. (but to answer your question- yes).

That picture was taken during sunset looking west of the dyke towards Anchor Bay Drive.

Full tables go for face value, BUT if you are the organizer of a table of 10 you will get a $100.00 raffle ticket package to use however you wish (I wont tell your friends if you don't;))

Wetlandhunter- please let me know asap if you are interested in a table as the table sponsors are going fast (there may be only 2 or 3 full tables left out of the 70+ that we have available).

Thanks for your interest.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
We like to consider ourselves a NEW organization called the St. Clair Flats Waterfowler's Inc. (but to answer your question- yes).

That picture was taken during sunset looking west of the dyke towards Anchor Bay Drive.

Full tables go for face value, BUT if you are the organizer of a table of 10 you will get a $100.00 raffle ticket package to use however you wish (I wont tell your friends if you don't;))

Wetlandhunter- please let me know asap if you are interested in a table as the table sponsors are going fast (there may be only 2 or 3 full tables left out of the 70+ that we have available).

Thanks for your interest.
I will make a few calls we use to get 3 tables in the past..

So who is running St. Clair Flats Waterfowler's Inc.?
I was cheking online about it..

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So who is running St. Clair Flats Waterfowler's Inc.?
Here is a run down:

Chairman- Mike Fenton
Vice Chairman- Chris Piper
Secretary- Jeff DeLange (AKA- Bite_Me_Too- yours truly)
Treasurer- Karen Piper

We have over70% of the members from the old organization that are committed to making this new organization work. We are now on our 4th annual Banquet and have exceeded our goals each year. We are committed to contributing to any conservation effort in the St. Clair Flats Area. But, we can't do this without the help of people like you.

We are a 501C3 organization which means a portion of your money spent is tax deductible. Our records are available via the web as all 501C3 org's records are made public.

If you get 3 tables, I WILL MAKE SURE YOU ARE REWARDED FOR YOUR EFFORTS:D

Thanks again- Jeff- BMT

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
I was just checking to see if there was a website on them. Just to get a run down on the organization..It is all for a good cause. Waterfowl US back in the day was a great set up for the few years that I was involved.
Thanks For the Info. If I can't get enough folks for a table I will be there..I know many will be out hunting..:)

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Nice ride there, BMT.

those JDs come in handy...

when your car is nose down off the side of a dike! (dikes can get slicker than goose shhhhh...)

so i heard... have no idea who that was... it's a really long walk from the big pool to the office... ;)

·
Registered
4,162 Posts
Nice to see local work and $$$ put back into the area, versus getting sent to "national".
Thanks for your efforts.

·
Premium Member
5,662 Posts
Let's just say I had the rare privilege of snooping around INSIDE the 'fuges.

and anyone with some sense, wouldn't have been driving on the dikes after all the rain they had.

(got my [aka: hind end] chewed! think fondly of the experience now)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts